+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Turntable Help!

I'm Dan.

Default Need Turntable Help!

Right, lets get this out in the open, I know bugger all about turntables really, all I know is I need one, and some kind of preamp for it to go into my NVA amp...
    most important, I need it to not break the bank, these are difficult times.

I need advice on makes/models and where to acquire said makes/models.

cheers in advance

I'm David.

I bet you any money at least one person recomends you a "techy 1200" ... After I have got my office system back up and running, it's going to be my next investement, maybe we could buy a pair dan? They are cheaper in pairs!! I can prob find you a cheapy project pre to keep you going until you need something better!

I'm David.

Dan.... Do search for " terminator tonearm" on google a few people on here have those on technics 1200's ... That's another hifi thing that gets the atention of the childish part of my brain and makes me point and exclaim "ooooooh coooool" before I have even thought about how it might sound!!!

I'm Dan.

haha, yeah you showed me the terminator when I was round at yours last...

I'll bear that in mind about the pair... i suppose it's not that urgent, I do have one or two CDs to listen to

I'm David.

I think it would be a good idea, we could prob get a pair for £250-£300, it would also mean we could share parts! When you looking at getting a deck?

Hi,

you could do worse (much worse) than the Graham Slee GramAmp 2SE for your phono amp. And of course the SL1200/1210 is a nobrainer.

Good listening

Regards

Les

Cool

The Terminator is reviewed in this months Hi Fi World and you can download a copy right now!

One of the best phono stages is made my Alex who is a member here, click here to see them.

Regards

Dave

I'm ILOB.

Dan how much money do you have and how far do you plan to modify it
    If money is really tight go for a Lenco it has a lot of potential and will not break the bank
    The 1210 will of course has more potential
    Getting a good phono stage Cartridge etc will help a lot too. I recommend you listen to a few decks to get a feel for where you want to head
    Be warned TT can be an expensive hobby but if you get it right it will have you buying vinyl
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

John's asking the questions that I was going to ask.

A GL75 in serviced form and with replacement V blocks on the arm will work well with the more "rugged" cartridges out there - AT120E, Shure 97Xe (with damper brush used) and obviously, the M3D would be perfectly at home, with or without the N21 stylus. The wires from deck to amp could do with replacing too, but even without an arm change and with standard plinth (especially if it's the springy one) you'll get a good sound that beats a Rega or old Linn Axis.

I'm not keen on heavy butchering of a GL75 top-plate when fitting different arms (apologies) but if you save hard for a 12" arm, you can remove all the L75 paraphernalia and put the arm outside of the top-plate area...

The Thorens TD150 can also make a great donor turntable, although springy belt drives aren't favoured here

SOME elderly direct drives are really fab still and with a modern cartridge and careful siting, an old Techie SL13/14/15/16/17/1800 mk1 or 2 can work a treat, although the Mk2 versions of the 1300/1400/1500 had iffy cuening devices which fail and so far, noone makes a replacement part to my knowledge.

Good luck

P.S. Those phono stages on Dave's site look interesting too, but I have to give a shout for Glenn Croft's phono stage too. The man cares, makes 'em well (and they're easy to service anyway) and is delighted to work on old stuff he's made, updating or modifying the circuits according to what he's learned over the years.
    Last edited by DSJR; 31-07-2009 at 17:23.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread