19:36:02 : 06/06 1.6%
    19:36:38 : 07/07 0.8%
    19:37:37 : 08/08 0.4%
    19:37:57 : 09/09 0.2%
    19:38:38 : 09/10 1.1%
    19:38:50 : Test finished.

----------
    Total: 9/10 (1.1%)

The test results prove that I can successfully track which file is which in a blind test, but little else other than that.
    My failure on the 10th attempt could be put down to losing the will to live

So now I played the files right through, and on initial hearing I preferred file 1, as it had more air and space to the sound.
    Subsequent listenings have me very definitely in the file 2 camp. The bass and piano have pitch stability that file 1 lacks. The drumming on track 2 has greater drive and direction, and the emphasis the drummer makes with pressed rolls comes to the fore.

Overall I'd say the Technics acquits itself very well, especially considering the fact that it's a stock deck, and the LP12 has had money thrown at it in upgrades.

That was my findings as well give or take...1st listen I was drawn to no1 but the more I did listen, I felt 2 was better for me anyways....Kinda thought 2 would be the lp 12
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

The other file set (Cat Stevens' Sad Lisa) hasn't been mentioned. The differences this time are less obvious. This time I preferred the Linn file because it had the greater clarity.

Someone has mentioned that the two cartridges don't have the same absolute phase.

I'm Nodrog.

I prefer the second one. The piano sound is close but the bass is far more stable and clean. I found there was a plummy coloration on the LP12 that I couldn't live with. It is surprising how well some basic decks perform.

I have just played both tracks on iTunes (Apple lossless) and find both lack the air around them that I am used to. However the basic sound is so similar that I wonder why we spend all this dosh on front ends. It confirms my view that the speakers are the most important but thats another 'discussion' we have had before.
    Last edited by Gordon Steadman; 06-10-2014 at 06:54.

I'm Deleted.

I had forgotten about this - will have an experiment tonight (perhaps Wednesday) .
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Try the comparison again, this time with a Rega Planar 2: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-drops.385558/

This one’s a bit closer, and so harder to judge, however, I’d say that File 3 was the Techy, and the other, the Rega.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nodrog.

Even Stevens until the piano came in and then I preferred No 4. On the Mac system with the Diamonds I really couldn't hear any difference. Even on the phones it was close.

I'm Stephen.

I'd say 3 was the Rega as the other sounds more coloured. 3 sounds cleaner and clearer like the previous Linn files. The drums especially sound a whole lot sharper and attacking with 3.

Glad I don't have a 1210!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You mean a stock 1210?

A lightly tweaked (let alone a fully modified one, like others or mine) simply doesn’t have those limitations…

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

3 is the Technics.
    4 is the Planar2, and not only is it running a touch slow, it's incapable of maintaining proper pitch. It's shite, and that's being nice about it

Whoever said the recordings sound a lot closer and more difficult to distinguish should stop listening to the speakers on their flash new MacBook whatever it is - it might be nicer to use than your last laptop, but the speakers are still rubbish.
    These 2 recordings are chalk and cheese
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Buffet-blower.

I'm of course open to being proved wrong, but I'd be surprised if 3 is the Technics, for the simple reason that its pitch is so far off - then again, John may have tweaked the pitch control to throw folk off the scent.

Regas are notorious for running slightly fast (my dad's Planar 3 which is at my place definitely is) hence why I thought that 4 is the Tecchy because it's a lot nearer to British Standard Pitch (A440). Saying that, even 4 is still slightly sharp though, but of course the master could've been running fast too - not unheard of.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast