+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics SL-1200mk2 vs Linn LP12

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lightbulb Technics SL-1200mk2 vs Linn LP12

Guys, this thread is currently running on pfm, so I thought it might be interesting seeing what folks here thought. Download the files from the Hoffman forum, have a listen, and see what you think:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-drops.384955/

So which file do you think is the recording from which turntable?

I guessed it correctly, as soon as I listened (as the guy who produced the files has now said which is which), the reasons for why I came to that conclusion will be revealed later. However, if you don’t know, then just simply tell it as you heard it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Not a lot in it listening on the lappy through the creative labs but I preferred no 2.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It's a pity that the files have tags that tell you which is which.
    At least it tells me using Foobar which file is which.

Another point is that the recording level is pitifully low.
    I've Replaygain scanned and applied the tags - there's a +8 dB figure thrown up.
    It would have been better being somewhere around the 0 dB mark.

I'll have a listen to it tomorrow afternoon using headphones and the A/B tester plugin that Foobar has - my crappy laptop speakers aren't good enough to make any judgement calls.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Lynton.

Without reading the tags, my first impression was to favour file 1 mainly due to the brightness of the slightly more prominent highs. By the end of listening the second time through, I preferred the overall balance of file 2, somehow a bit more solid and realistic particularly in the mids. I then cheated so I now know the truth but enough of that.

What I do find amazing is that it's a comparison of a fairly well sorted LP12 with a stock Techy. How the comparison would be if the Techy recorded file represented my midway modified 1210 let alone a full house item, is fascinating to contemplate.
    Lyn

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Returning to the thread over on the Steve Hoffman forums (which I didn't read first time around) I can see that there are all kinds of ifs, buts and whys all through it.
    I'm going to have a listen tomorrow through a setup I know pretty well, and make any decisions thereafter.

The ABX element of Foobar is a very useful tool to have for such moments!
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Hi Lynton,

Quote Originally Posted by Lynster View Post
    What I do find amazing is that it's a comparison of a fairly well sorted LP12 with a stock Techy. How the comparison would be if the Techy recorded file represented my midway modified 1210 let alone a full house item, is fascinating to contemplate.
    Spot on - and *that* is exactly the point.

However, I was different from you and instantly preferred file 1. It is, fundamentally in my opinion, the better sounding recording, and not just because it’s a little louder - and that’s exactly how it should be, because a reasonably well-specified LP12 should considerably outperform a stock SL-1200/1210.

With file 2, now confirmed as being the Technics, I can clearly hear the limitations that from experience I’d associate with a stock SL-1200/1210 (rather opaque sound, lack of openness and high-frequency detail retrieval, tonally monochromatic presentation, etc), although I can also hear the effect of its superior speed stability over that of the LP12; in short just the type of differences I’d have expected to have heard between both T/Ts.

The fact that, despite that, the results were still reasonably close, just goes to show the nonsense that some folk spout about the Techy, and also the potential it has for upgrading/modifying the areas of weakness it possesses in stock form, which from experience I know can be done, and thus transform it into a genuinely top-class turntable, capable of competing with the best.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

It didn't show any tags with me. It didn't download either it just played them. I ran certain passages side by side several times in different windows but it did not run through any of the main players on the PC ie Foobar or jriver.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Has anyone else listened to the files? Come on folks, let’s have some more feedback!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Just used laptop speakers but File 1 was superior more air, richer tonal palette, focus, weight and scale, even with the laptops limitations the difference was fairly obvious.

Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Only crappy powered desktop speakers here but I preferred file 2.

Bassline more prominent, vocal is clearer, the whole thing is more 'together'. File 1 sounds a bit more plinky-plonk in the top with vague bass and muffled vocal.

Then I checked which was which. I'm not surprised. I'm surprised so many thought #1 was better.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast