+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Project ONGAKU - A project too far....?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I ask because your question comes out of the blue. It wasn't, "I've just been borrowing one and it is simply the best amp I have ever heard". In fact, you don't say you have heard one at all - hence the question. Given the cost that even a copy would entail I would want to be absolutely sure it was what I wanted before I set out.
    OK. Yes its what I want. I'm looking to get one of the best valve amps cloned for my listening room.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I'd take Nick up on his offer were I you, his amp is rather good.
    So would I!
    Nick's 211 is one very capable beast.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mark.

I agree with Yomanze the synergy is the part that is not going to transfer in cloning with "similar" parts it could be 95% of the original or 5% ! At 95% it's a steal but at 5% it's an expensive disaster !
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Erik.

Hi there

I was wondering if you are having any succes building an Ongaku clone by now (2 years later)

I am asking because I picked up the challenge as well and am in a prototype/breadboard stage now (couple of months work)
    TITLE IS AN AWARD.....I myself am just a guy in love with music and on a mission.

I'm Jez.

I'd rather have a NAD 3020......
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shane.

S.

I'm Jez.

I'm perfectly serious. I regard the Ongaku as a really poor amplifier. As I do all SET amps. Not for me I'm afraid.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

That's alright Jez, do you see an Ongaku or even a clone registered on my Sig?

PS I own a NAD3020 and can think of a lot of vintage Japanese 70's integrated that I'd sooner own, AU919 for instance.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
    Hi there

I was wondering if you are having any succes building an Ongaku clone by now (2 years later)

I am asking because I picked up the challenge as well and am in a prototype/breadboard stage now (couple of months work)
    Hi there Eric,

How are you? Long time since you last posted. What have you been up to? Is the Ongaku clone your latest DIY project? If it is we would love to see any photographs you may have of the work in progress.

Definitely a project that will maintain your signature accolade!

Barry
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Yer see the thing with the Ongaku and similar is that with such high distortion, low damping factor etc one is listening to the sonic signature of that amp...a pretty coloured one at that, rather than to "reality".
    I always say that a good system should allow you to hear the very different ways in which recordings are made, with different mics, mixing desks and of course the acoustics of the recording space making each sound quite different. Some may sound sumptuous, some sharp and cold, some of amazing transparency and some with very obvious colourations of their own. A good system will make all this clear but if you have something which imparts its own sound to a marked degree then everything sounds basically like.. well in this case Ongaku! I'm sure that in the right system it can sound very "nice" but I'd rather have accurate myself.... and IT'S HOW MUCH??!! All IMHO and YMMV of course

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast