+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Project ONGAKU - A project too far....?

I'm Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi there Eric,

How are you? Long time since you last posted. What have you been up to? Is the Ongaku clone your latest DIY project? If it is we would love to see any photographs you may have of the work in progress.

Definitely a project that will maintain your signature accolade!

Barry
    Hi Barry

Yepp building a 211 SET amp based on a clever design of Kondo San with a twist of my own and help of a local "Think Tank" (two audio buddies) is now my latest greatest.

It is in a breadboard stage and at the moment gathering materials is the difficult path but certainly realistic.

As we speak I have two Tamura OPT in da house and the mains transformer is being build by MonolithMagnetics (Belgium) The transformer for the filaments is custom-made by Amplimo.
    No need to explain that the trick cloning such a beast with succes is to get the right ( exotic) materials.

It most definitely will not play in the same league as the NAD 3020 but I can live with that.....
    TITLE IS AN AWARD.....I myself am just a guy in love with music and on a mission.

I'm Deleted.

I heard an Ongaku integrated not that long ago. Front end was a Nottingham Analogue Space deck with some DIY full-range speakers. The sound was absolutely dire - really surprisingly poor.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Probably down to the speakers. Some people turn out dire efforts (I've been guilty myself ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Erik.

Yepp, there are some very unlucky demos with the Ongaku due to the less knowledgeable.

Anyway I am building it not integrated...I have my DIY pre amp posted here somewhere...(2012 ?) and will use the Ongaku for highs and mids only.

The idea is to experiment a bit with driver tubes/regulation/caps/chokes in order to come to the final contraption and in the end give it the appearance it deserves....meaning for now a safe wooden casing to work with.

I am on the dutch forum in "Real Time" building it so every now and than I will/can post a pic ....that is if there is an Ongaku fan to be found in this forum/topic.....otherwise it is quite useless wasting your time.
    TITLE IS AN AWARD.....I myself am just a guy in love with music and on a mission.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
    if there is an Ongaku fan to be found in this forum/topic.....otherwise it is quite useless wasting your time.
    There are Audio Note fans here and Ongaku users I believe.

Your project photos would be welcome.

Don't let Jez's (or anybody else's) anti SET comments put you off .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

I don't actually blame the Ongaku as such, I think it was more an example of system synergy gone bad.
    Account Deleted

I'm Erik.

I posted an update in my own topic here

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There are Audio Note fans here and Ongaku users I believe.

Your project photos would be welcome.

Don't let Jez's (or anybody else's) anti SET comments put you off .
    Indeed. Although personally I wouldn't touch one with a specially extended barge pole you should follow your dreams...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Erik.

Okay an update my test Ongaku is ready and since I have one on loan to compare step by step it is close but not yet there.

Since I have to blame it on some of the lesser materials (the main cause that DIY guys are dissatisfied by the end result when cloning the original or judging the sound of a non original Ongaku !!!!!) I have ordered a set Tangos.

I will keep you informed.

Last edited by Erik van Voorst; 17-04-2017 at 07:56.

I'm Erik.

....... and Playing...very very promissing.

The main transformer is custom made in Belgium by monolytics...the other transformers by Tamura, Lundahl and some Vintage oil filled, the interstages El Cheapo waiting for Tango.
    211 are General Electric...rectifiers El Cheapo...waiting for tube rolling.
    Wiring not at all high end....but the fun is experimenting with (some less costly)materials....spending money is the bad part here....lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast