+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats coming on TV soon!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Don't like it, watched two episodes and I don't think this will fly.
    +1. The first 10 mins, when everyone had disappeared, and watching the survivors reaction to that, was great, but after that things descended into boresville… I hate it when a programme or TV series tries to be too clever or ‘out there' for its own good. The current Dr Who series is also rather like that.

Most often folk just want to ‘relax into’ some non-taxing, enjoyable, down-to-earth entertainment, without having to sift through or decipher the mind games of a TV producer or director trying to ‘out-intellectualise’ the competition, simply just to be ‘trendy’

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

synsei Guest

re: The Leftovers. You should stick with it chaps, it really develops later on

Wake me up then when the action starts… Reminds me rather of F1!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ben.

Yep very much agree with Marco on this, TWD is great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you can access Sky, Grant, I thoroughly recommend The Walking Dead series. It’s not just gory and gratuitous violence - there’s a good story to it, too!

Ah - noted. I love war films (and also the old westerns).

Marco.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Hi Ben,

Yup, it’s fab; probably one of my all-time favourite TV series, along with The Sopranos

Marco.
    Main System

synsei Guest

I did have concerns early on that it was going to turn out to be another 'LOST' (I gave up on that show half way through series two), but having stuck with it I now realise there was a lot of 'setting up' of the plot to take care of. Your choice of course but The Leftovers is set to be a bit of an epic. Quite often I am able to second guess where a plot line is going, so far with TL this has not been the case. Initially I thought it was going to be that old chestnut, alien abduction. This has been done to death with shows such as Taken and The 4400 and so my heart sank a little initially despite the high production values and excellent acting. Now though it would appear that there are religious overtones sneaking into the storyline, and not just through Christopher Ecclestone's character.

The rapture has been mentioned a couple of times by characters and then there is the slightly hazy 'good versus evil' theme which seesaws between various groups and personalities, such as The Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne and Chief Garvey. Kevin Garvey is an intriguing character who gets more intriguing as the series moves on, as does the reverend btw. And then there are Garvey's daughter, Jill, and his Dad, Garvey Snr. I feel that the Chiefs dad is going to be the key to all this btw

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    +1. The first 10 mins, when everyone had disappeared, and watching the survivors reaction to that, was great, but after that things descended into boresville… I hate it when a programme or TV series tries to be too clever or ‘out there' for its own good. The current Dr Who series is also rather like that.

Most often folk just want to ‘relax into’ some non-taxing, enjoyable, down-to-earth entertainment, without having to sift through or decipher the mind games of a TV producer or director trying to ‘out-intellectualise' his or her competitors, in order to be ‘trendy’

Marco.
    My understanding is this series is about the people left behind and not those who vanished or what happened. Frankly 2% of the worlds population vanishing would be the basis for an interesting show as folks, scientists etc try to figure it out and the military be involved. Even if this was a Biblically Christian show about The Rapture it would also be interesting and a good basis for a series but the premise of this one leaves me thinking soap with one interesting event at the beginning but never any explanation - frustration. The fact those involved in Lost are behind this puts me off big time and the first episode was naff, much more of the vanishings could have been made but nope, a car crashes, a child isn't in its seat any more, and a shopping trolley hits a car - zero money to do that - very poor start.

Sorry I won't be wasting my life watching this.

If it gets better tell me how, hook me, because so far there has been imho no hook, no unique selling point nothing.

Regards Neil

I'm stu.

301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I did have concerns early on that it was going to turn out to be another 'LOST' (I gave up on that show half way through series two), but having stuck with it I now realise there was a lot of 'setting up' of the plot to take care of. Your choice of course but The Leftovers is set to be a bit of an epic. Quite often I am able to second guess where a plot line is going, so far with TL this has not been the case. Initially I thought it was going to be that old chestnut, alien abduction. This has been done to death with shows such as Taken and The 4400 and so my heart sank a little initially despite the high production values and excellent acting. Now though it would appear that there are religious overtones sneaking into the storyline, and not just through Christopher Ecclestone's character.

The rapture has been mentioned a couple of times by characters and then there is the slightly hazy 'good versus evil' theme which seesaws between various groups and personalities, such as The Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne and Chief Garvey. Kevin Garvey is an intriguing character who gets more intriguing as the series moves on, as does the reverend btw. And then there are Garvey's daughter, Jill, and his Dad, Garvey Snr. I feel that the Chiefs dad is going to be the key to all this btw
    Using the idea of the Rapture but rewriting Christian theology and understanding to sell some non Christian version alienates me big time.

Regards Neil

Nice one, Stu. I’m liking the look of that!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast