+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts please....

I'm Craig.

Default Your thoughts please....

As the 5 year old Onkyo SR 607 has been acting up ( common HDMI board problem I believe) I thought I'd replace it with a cheap unit.

RS have a Pioneer unit, only 5.1, but that's ok, however, the nice man at RSVP in Sheffield claimed that the thing wouldn't be up to much, compared to the Onkyo, and a previous £650 Denon.

Now, it's only £120, and I'm now not as big an enthusiast as I used to be with AV, so what do you reckon, buy one, or get the Onkyo repaired, which they (RS) said might not be cheap!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Grant.

I recently got a Pioneer dvd/bluray player that cost that amount. Lots of folk said it was only a poor mans oppo, but I am poor; It is a fabulous unit and it all works well and is well put together...Moral is just because it is not expensive dont mean it wont be good. I'd buy another modern pioneer from their lower pricepoint anytime.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Craig.

Thanks Grant.

Anyone else want to give their two pennurth?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Andrei.

Do you need a multi-channel receiver or just a multi format player?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Do you need a multi-channel receiver or just a multi format player?
    Multi channel receiver.....did I even mention a player?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Craig.

The company that seems to be the official repairer of Onkyo says it would cost about £200 to repair!
    I don't think it's worth it for a 5 year old unit.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

I'd get the Onkyo fixed. A £120 receiver isn't going to be that great, in particular I think you fill find it lacks grunt compared to what you are used to. I know 'cause I replaced a monster top of the range Kenwood with a budget Sony -nothing wrong with the SQ but it lacks balls, frankly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd get the Onkyo fixed. A £120 receiver isn't going to be that great, in particular I think you fill find it lacks grunt compared to what you are used to. I know 'cause I replaced a monster top of the range Kenwood with a budget Sony -nothing wrong with the SQ but it lacks balls, frankly.
    Output wise it's on a par with the Onk though, and there's the REL to add balls when needed.

Interesting to note too, that just like other products, something that was at a certain price point with a given spec, can now be had for lots less dosh!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Martin.

True. A/V receivers have plummeted in price in the last 10 years. I would be sceptical though about the power output figures. Pal of mine has a top of the range Onkyo that is supposed to meet the spec for THX but set it playing at the THX reference level and you can hear it clipping. It ended up destroying the tweeter in his centre speaker (£600 quids worth of B&W) and giving him tinitus to boot.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tim.

have you had a look at the yamaha range? they get great reviews from the low end to high end & I can not fault the ones i have had.
    Amp: Rotel A11 Tribute

Sources:
    Mac mini 2011 and 2014 both ssd’s

Dac: ifi zen blue

Leads: tacima’s, Lapp/supra Lorad power leads (home made with mk silver plugs etc), audioquest golden gate rca,

Speakers: Triangle Borea BR03

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast