+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oyaide MJ-12 with BR-One vs ETP Platter vs Funk Platter with Achromat?

I'm Chris.

Default Oyaide MJ-12 with BR-One vs ETP Platter vs Funk Platter with Achromat?

I have tried to find the answer for this question, but I cannot find what will be the best upgrade?

I have now an Oyaide MJ-12 with the Oyaide BR-ONE underneath pluss a 425 g record weight. For an upgrade, what should I go for?

Mike New ETP Platter?

or

Funkplatter with Achromat?

Will any of the two be an upgrade from my Oyaide combo? What will be the differense??

Please

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm John.

Hi Chris. As you have a MN bearing then I would recommend the MN ETP platter. It elevates the SL12++ to another level and does not need a mat in my experience, although some of the folks who have this combo use the Resomat with the MN ETP, and have achieved very good results.

I'm Chris.

Thank you! As of now, my newest upgrades are the IsoKinetik Silver Melody arm, TechniBoots over Isonoe feet and changed from DL-103R to Ortofon 2M Black. The sound is so dynamic, tight bass, extended and clear. It is hard for me to imagine the sound will be better I read all the good reviews the ETP with MN Bearing have gotten, I wonder what will improve with the ETP? I belive you when you say another level, but can you or others tell me what kind of improvements I'll get? Isthe bearing base a must also?

I want as much info as possible before I buy
    Thanks

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Thank you! As of now, my newest upgrades are the IsoKinetik Silver Melody arm, TechniBoots over Isonoe feet and changed from DL-103R to Ortofon 2M Black. The sound is so dynamic, tight bass, extended and clear. It is hard for me to imagine the sound will be better I read all the good reviews the ETP with MN Bearing have gotten, I wonder what will improve with the ETP? I belive you when you say another level, but can you or others tell me what kind of improvements I'll get? Isthe bearing base a must also?

I want as much info as possible before I buy
    Thanks
    Hi Chris, I'll try to answer some of your questions. BTW - Johns comments, post #2 are spot on. From the very moment Mike New introduced his ETP I had a gut sense that it would be very good indeed. Just before purchasing I pm'd John to get his thoughts as he'd beat me to it and was probably the first here to purchase one, followed by myself. In a nut shell he summarised by saying that the ETP was the icing on the cake in terms of what it had brought to his system. All I can tell you is that my experience was exactly the same. The ETP brought my vinyl replay to another level, music sounds so much more right, natural with a sense of realism I have never heard before. It allows my deck / system to take me further into the recording and I realise that this is due to yet another layer of coloration, resonance etc being removed. Coupled with the removal of the stock arm, MN bearing and the replacing internal psu with an off board external psu, the combined effect was breath taking for me - crap / layer removal is a bit like polishing a window you really get to hear what's really on the record. John, like you and I also has the brilliant 2M Black on board - what more can I say. It's a very special cart when set up properly IMO and IME. To put things into perspective, The ETP is not money I generally have sitting around at my disposal and neither is the MN bearing, 2M black or external psu, but combined the result is stunning !!! The joy I've got from my vinyl replay since has been priceless !! My recommendation without apology is go for the ETP. As for the bearing base plate, I have one and will fit it first chance because again I'm in no doubt that it will not detract but improve things further - why wouldnt it ?
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 27-09-2014 at 20:20.

I'm Chris.

Thank you, RobbieGong, for your detailed answer I'm convinced that the ETP platter is the way to go. Also in the beginning I was not sure if I liked the design of the platter, but after looking at different pics I really like what it does to the Technics visually! I'll have to save up now, to make the final move to put the icing on the cake, as you put it

Thank you for taking time to answer my question!

I'm John.

Mine has a recess for the record label, as pictured.

As far as I know Robbie Gong doesn't have a recess for the label. Not sure if this makes much difference though.

I'm Kevin.

I have the Funk Mk1 Platter with an Achromat and I am happy. I got my platter second hand, so paid about 50% of the RRP.
    I have never heard the ETP in my system, so I couldn't tell you which I prefer/think is best.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Mine has a recess for the record label, as pictured.

As far as I know Robbie Gong doesn't have a recess for the label. Not sure if this makes much difference though.
    Looks great and massiv. Think I'll go for brass coins on mine. But is the label recess important?

I'm Robert.

Looks great and massiv. Think I'll go for brass coins on mine. But is the label recess important?
    Personally I think the ETP suits the Techie to a T in a classy less dj kind of way, more grown up then so to speak . I went with the non recessed version as I've never had a problem with the stock 3mm softer Techie mat and believe you me I've tried almost every manner of mat, Cork mat, Herbies, Speed, Achromat, Techie 5mm heavy mat and even the bling fantastic Oyaide too. For me and in my system the softer 3mm Techie rubber mat has always sounded best and most natural / right, but thats my set up. My ETP has the brass 'coin' inserts which I liked even though its covered up with mat / record Here's a link to my ETP'd Techie http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...e-Tech-Gallery (I've no idea how to post the link as a pic instead - sorry)

I'm John.

Well I think so as I use a weight like this:

Although it depends on what sort of mat used (if at all).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast