+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Show off your Belter's ,you know you want to, with prizes

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Guarda bene, Claudio. Proprio bellissimo - bravo!

I haven't seen that Grado arm before. It has a look of an SME Series III about it, but probably much better!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Looks like it could have been made for Grado by Jelco.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    My thoughts too. Has a wee bit of a look like Marco's Ortofon arm. I didn't know Grado had ever offered an arm.... there you go one lives and learns.

There you go found it http://www.vinylengine.com/library/g...standard.shtml. Its the Grado Signature Laboratory Standard tonearm.

Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nah, for me, much more SME 'Series III' in style, than Jelco - although the latter may actually have made the arm.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    My thoughts too. Has a wee bit of a look like Marco's Ortofon arm. I didn't know Grado had ever offered an arm.... there you go one lives and learns.

Regards Neil
    Koetsu offered an arm, but I think it was OEM. Similarly the ADC arms of the late '70s were definitely made for them by a Japanese company. (Jelco?)
    Barry

I'm Claudio.

You see, Marco, that tonearm has a long story.
    I had an Audiotchnica AT 155 LC in the mid eighties. An excellent cart but with a remarkable accent on upper treble, that often was boring.
    Now I think that the problem was not in the cart but in amplifier and cables, but those days the best part of my experience was to be made yet.
    The AT 155 LC in my opinion was a cart ahead of its time.

So a friend of mine purchased a Grado Signature 8 in the States and when I listened it understood that could solve my problems and make me happy.
    I asked him to purchase another Signature 8 for me and months later an MCX, the cart in the picture.

Having become very fond of Grado carts, the next step was to purchase the then new Grado Laboratory Standard Tonearm, in order to obtain the best of them.

Its main feature is the double S wand, bent not only on the horzontal axis, but on the vertical as well. That wand made the uniqueness of the tonearm in tohose days and still today, as I never heard of other double S tonearms.

The main difference from a SME arm is that the Grado works on double pivots and ruby bearings.
    Other interesting features are the rotating knob at the base of the arm that makes very easy the finest tuning of VTA and the rotating lift lever.

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nah, for me, much more SME 'Series III' in style, than Jelco - although the latter may actually have made the arm.

Marco.
    Koetsu offered an arm, but I think it was OEM. Similarly the ADC arms of the late '70s were definitely made for them by a Japanese company. (Jelco?)
    The Koetsu arm was indeed a Jelco as is the Ortofon, both made with better tolerance bearings than there own output. The Grado is a different kettle of fish, these were made by Denon for Grado, to a Grado design.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    The Koetsu arm was indeed a Jelco as is the Ortofon, both made with better tolerance bearings than their own output. The Grado is a different kettle of fish, these were made by Denon for Grado, to a Grado design.
    Thanks Paul. Denon made some fine arms for the professional broadcast market.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536