+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rewiring stock tonearm - earth wire

I'm Ty.

Default Rewiring stock tonearm - earth wire

Hi all. I'm in the middle of rewiring my stock arm - I'm just wondering where to solder the earth wire which on one end is already soldered to an attachment inside and towards the back of the arm. Should I solder the other end (which comes out the bottom of the base) to the thicker earth wire that attaches to my phono stage? That wire has a solder/screw point that originally attached to the PCB but I am rewiring straight to phono plugs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How will the metalwork of the deck be earthed? Does the mains lead have an earth wire?
    Barry

I'm Andrei.

I'm pretty sure you do not need to do any soldering. I'm busy at the mo (so no pics) but it can be screwed down. For reasons that I do not understand it gets screwed in two places. One is on the tiny PCB in the tonearm assembly, near to a point where the 4 tonearm wires are connected. The other is on the pitch-fader. As an alternative solution I've seen some YouTube clips where the shield of the interconnect is soldered to the pcb in the tonearm assembly.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    I'm pretty sure you do not need to do any soldering. I'm busy at the mo (so no pics) but it can be screwed down. For reasons that I do not understand it gets screwed in two places. One is on the tiny PCB in the tonearm assembly, near to a point where the 4 tonearm wires are connected. The other is on the pitch-fader. As an alternative solution I've seen some YouTube clips where the shield of the interconnect is soldered to the pcb in the tonearm assembly.
    I forgot to mention that the rewire is going straight to phono plugs i.e. bypassing the PCB - so I have that thin black earth cable still soldered to an attachment inside the arm and coming down the base. I've gone ahead and soldered it to the ground cable that goes to the phono stage - please advise me if you think this is ok. Thanks Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    I forgot to mention that the rewire is going straight to phono plugs i.e. bypassing the PCB - so I have that thin black earth cable still soldered to an attachment inside the arm and coming down the base. I've gone ahead and soldered it to the ground cable that goes to the phono stage - please advise me if you think this is ok. Thanks Andrei.
    Should be OK, but how is the metalwork of the turntable earthed?
    Barry

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Ty Can't help you much there I'm afraid. Even the YOuTube clips I have seen are all based on the internal PCB.

@Barry: Would the original design of the connection to the Pitch Fader be to earth the metalwork of the turntable?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    @Barry: Would the original design of the connection to the Pitch Fader be to earth the metalwork of the turntable?
    I don't know, for the simple reason I know nothing of the design of the Technics TT. All I was pointing out was that if the OP intends taking the lead-out wires from the base of the arm and directly joining them to screened cables connecting to the phono inputs of his preamp or phonistage, then the black wire which is connected to the metalwork of the arm, also needs to be taken to the earthing screw on the back of the preamp/phonostage.

However the metalwork of the TT also needs to be earthed for safety reasons. IF the arm mounting base is in direct electrical contact with the rest of the deck then that may be sufficient. If it does not, then the TT needs to be earthed separately; if a three-core mains cable is fitted as standard, then the deck will already be earthed, otherwise a separate wire needs to be connected to the metalwork and also taken to the earth screw on the preamp.
    Barry

I'm Ty.

Thanks everyone. All done and up and running! Sounding very nice.

+ Reply to Thread