+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Servicing 1210 - bearing

I'm Ty.

Default Servicing 1210 - bearing

Hi all. Can someone provide a link with pictures on how to service/remove and check bearing/oil please.

I'm Andrei.

UNPLUG YOUR TURNTABLE

Two resources:
    1. On Vinyl Engine http://www.vinylengine.com/ you can download a manual. 2. Youtube, especially clips by viperfrank.
    With these you can see how to open up your techie. You will be looking for clips that show opening it up from the top, not the bottom, which is a much bigger faff.

The things you do are (but I can't quite remember in what order)
    Lift off the platter
    Disconnect the various leads into the main pcb,
    Take off the black protector
    Unscrew the bearing
    Move the main pcb away and over from the bearing
    Lift out the bearing
    Using pliers you can pull the bearing apart
    Clean it with a lint-free cloth
    Re-oil it with a good quality synthetic motor oil. I believe KABUSA sell original oil if you want that.

Pulling the bearing apart is the only bit that is really tricky, and in fact is not even essential. You can re-oil it without undoing it.

While you are at it and have the bearing out take a good look at it ie the thrustpad and the bottom of the bearing shaft that it makes contact with. If these appear worn then new a bearing can be bought off ebay for something like £30.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    UNPLUG YOUR TURNTABLE

Two resources:
    1. On Vinyl Engine http://www.vinylengine.com/ you can download a manual. 2. Youtube, especially clips by viperfrank.
    With these you can see how to open up your techie. You will be looking for clips that show opening it up from the top, not the bottom, which is a much bigger faff.

The things you do are (but I can't quite remember in what order)
    Lift off the platter
    Disconnect the various leads into the main pcb,
    Take off the black protector
    Unscrew the bearing
    Move the main pcb away and over from the bearing
    Lift out the bearing
    Using pliers you can pull the bearing apart
    Clean it with a lint-free cloth
    Re-oil it with a good quality synthetic motor oil. I believe KABUSA sell original oil if you want that.

Pulling the bearing apart is the only bit that is really tricky, and in fact is not even essential. You can re-oil it without undoing it.

While you are at it and have the bearing out take a good look at it ie the thrustpad and the bottom of the bearing shaft that it makes contact with. If these appear worn then new a bearing can be bought off ebay for something like £30.
    Andrei the black circle on the thrust pad has a small indentation where the bearing makes contact and there's just about 2mm of play between pad and bearing - I'm assuming that's normal?

I'm Andrei.

That is wear and is normal. If you look at it closely under a magnifying glass you will almost certainly see that it is smooth, and therefore fine. I suppose you could find a new part, but I would not bother.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread