+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Second 1200

I'm Andrei.

Default Second 1200

[IMG][/IMG]

I have installed the spare tonearm and tested. It works!
    I am once again in awe. This baby sounded so good - totally convincing soundstage. Once again this proves that the stock 1200 / 1210 is a fabulous deck.

Just a few adjustments
    • Cardas wiring from pcb to RCA out;
    • Serviced the bearing;
    • Oyaide headshell;
    • Denon DL110 cartridge;
    • Ifi phono stage;
    • Origin Live mat.

I have still to clean up the internal connections, add a damped platter, repair the target light and external cosmetics.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the bearing, prior to servicing. What the heck is this black cogged structure? Anyone recognise it? Also the little black disk on the thrustpad is a replacement. It is all good though as this bearing has great freedom of movement - smooth as!
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Angus.

The bearing assembly is from one of the automatics (SL1300/1400Mk2). When the mechanism engages the black cog drives the arm motion to play or return as appropriate to the model. When the solenoid is disengaged there is no mechanism load on the gear, just the one larger gearwheel which the black cog drives.

regards

Angus

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    The bearing assembly is from one of the automatics (SL1300/1400Mk2). When the mechanism engages the black cog drives the arm motion to play or return as appropriate to the model. When the solenoid is disengaged there is no mechanism load on the gear, just the one larger gearwheel which the black cog drives.

regards
    Angus
    Thanks Angus. Apart from that it appears to be the same bearing as the 1200. It must have been some sort of transplant.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Jim.

How's the iFi Phono? I have an iDSD Nano, it's utterly fantastic...
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andrei.

I'm not surprised to hear about its quality Jim, as the ifi phono is stupidly good for the money (though I suspect Firebottle's phono stage may be even better). As for DSD I am presently playing my DSD files via my Oppo 105. Ever since stereophile's Kal Rubinson put me (not in person) onto DSD via the Oppo firmware upgrade I have been on the lookout for DSD material, and the little I have is really great. Quiet backgrounds, tons of detail. There are benefits in having a finger in each pie (digital and analogue).

+ Reply to Thread