View Poll Results: Politicising a hobbyist forum: Good or bad?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

5 13.89%
  • Bad

31 86.11%
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Politicising a hobbyist forum - Good or bad?

I'm Justin.

Well I'm pretty vacant. And I don't care.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I would also draw people's attention again to Macca's post 32, as he hits the nail right on the head, and that is precisely why 'controversial topics' will always be allowed to be discussed here.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think you'll find that Grant's views and mine are largely similar!

Lawrence, may I ask if you're Scottish or English? I know you live in Edinburgh, but that doesn't answer my question.

Marco.
    I'm British, both in my heart and on my passport. I was born in NW England.

If anyone asks me my nationality I would say British and always have, partly out of respect for what Britain achieved as a Union largely through the talent (and blood) of the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by losenotaminute View Post

If anyone asks me my nationality I would say British and always have, partly out of respect for what Britain achieved as a Union largely through the talent (and blood) of the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish.
    Having a Scottish father and a mother of mixed English/Irish parentage, I can't really describe myself as anything other than British. I'd guess a large percentage of the population of the British Isles feel the same way, given the huge amount of migration between the separate nations over the past couple of centuries.

I'm Nodrog.

My ancestry is English, Irish, Scots, Danish, Spanish and French (thankfully avoiding the Welsh) . Maybe Great Europe is a good idea.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Having a Scottish father and a mother of mixed English/Irish parentage, I can't really describe myself as anything other than British. I'd guess a large percentage of the population of the British Isles feel the same way, given the huge amount of migration between the separate nations over the past couple of centuries.
    My grandfather on my father's side taught himself German when he was young, after he was kicked out of school for being a lost cause. His army duties included translating in WW2, in Belsen cleaning up the mess that extreme nationalism caused.

I'm joe.

My grandfather on my father's side taught himself German when he was young, after he was kicked out of school for being a lost cause. His army duties included translating in WW2, in Belsen cleaning up the mess that extreme nationalism caused.
    Indeed. Nationalism was the root cause of both WWI and WWII.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Indeed. Nationalism was the root cause of both WWI and WWII.
    Contentious! have you swapped that Eng Lit MA for one in Modern History?

I'd agree that nationalism was a factor, a 'root cause' is pushing it a bit, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Contentious! have you swapped that Eng Lit MA for one in Modern History?

I'd agree that nationalism was a factor, a 'root cause' is pushing it a bit, though.
    Over-stated, perhaps (in a sense most wars are between nations and are thus 'nationalistic') but the 'cause' of WWI was the conflict between Austrian imperialism and Serbian nationalism, with other nations/empires being drawn into the conflict because of treaty obligations.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast