+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello everyone!

I'm Keith.

Default Hello everyone!

Hi everybody! My name is Keith Graham and I live in Cheltenham UK.
    I am retired and only recently took up hifi as a hobby. I've always been keen to have good quality equipment but work, children and a wife who failed to see why any stereo should cost more than a TV, not to mention the sheer cost have prevented me from following my desires. I threw my TV out years ago, I much prefer reading and DIY. Untill about this time last year I was content to listen to Spotify through a sound card and a Rega Brio amp to budget Focal speakers.
    My son bought me a Fatman hybrid amp to put in my workshop and I was blown away by the 'valve sound' - I had to go further!
    I bought a Musical Fidelity V-LINK 192 streamer and set up the PC to stream direrctly from source via USB to a Derek Shek DAC and into the Fatman, then I bought a Rega Planar 3 with the Elys cartridge and ran that through a Chinese valve phono stage. I thought it was good untill.. I bought an Audio Note DAC4.1 kit from ANK in Canada, it was not cheap, but worth every penny - seriously, I could not believe how incredible my music sounded through this DAC. It blew the Rega away completely, which sounded flat and uninteresting in comparison. I bought a 'Space Tech Laboratory' (hand made valve phono stage) on EBay but the vinyl just could not beat the DAC.
    Then I heard Audio Note were about to release an audiophile pre-amp, 'The Mentor' I managed to talk Brian Smith of ANK into letting me do a beta test build of it, so I was very happy to be the first customer with this pre-amp. Mine was the 3rd build in the world and first in Europe. It was utterly amazing, on first listen I had tears of joy in my eyes and a lump in my throat. Now I am a total Hi-Fi nut. I took to making my own interconnects (they are much better than anything on the market) and I'm about to build my first SET amp from schematic rather than a kit.
    Wish me luck!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Keith.

Geoff. wave:

I'm Paul.

Howdy!
    Welcome to AOS,what types of music floats ya boat?
    Paul.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Howdy!
    Welcome to AOS,what types of music floats ya boat?
    Pretty broad, not overly keen on Opera, I'm a bit of an old fart so laid back stuff at the moment. George Ezra, Alabama 3, Perez Prado, Lana del Ray, Nina Simone, Massive Attack, 'world' (Boubaca Traore, Toumani and Mamadou Diabates, Cheikh Lo, Baka Beyond(love that name!)), Bah, my mind is blank/broke now, Acoustical stuff etc. I'll listen to just about anything that does not irritate me realy.

I'm David.

Hi Keith, welcome to AoS

I'm Geoff.

Hello Keith,

welcome from me too.

Enjoy AOS,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm martin.

Howdy and welcome Keith, enjoy this madhouse.
    martin.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Keith

Good luck with the DIY amp build. Let us know how it progresses.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread