+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of Quad Electrostatics

I'm Richard.

Default In praise of Quad Electrostatics

I just posted (pretty much) the following post somewhere else, and then realised I have "ESL63 fanboy" as my soubriquet here, and felt accordingly I ought to share the love. As ever, no bloody idea which forum to post in, but I bet there aren't many electrostatic posts here, and its as relevant as in the 2 channel speakers section

enough waffle - a cut and paste job -

The ESL63's picked up a different sort of compliment this week. They couldn't be heard. The inaudible speaker.

This was doing duty as front left and right in a dolby 5.1 set up whilst watching Liverpool play football.

The background is, that on return from holiday, having mended the ESL's and restored them to front of house, the ventricals relegated to behind the sofa, they had been switched off by a teenager. Sue came in, noted the sound from the front was weak - the rear speakers dominated, and said "if you're not going to use those ugly bloody great things then they're going. They're too big". She could acknowledge that they sound sublime listening to music, particularly classical music which she loves to listen to, but felt (not without reason) that they cover a larger area of wall than the emulsion paint does.

But they were working, ffortissimo, when liverpool were on the goggle box, and yet they appeared to be silent. The clear natural, at the football stadium sound was coming from the TV itself - apparantly. I proved they were on - she stuck her ear to them, and I took out the other speakers using the setup function. But they were so "transparent" - the effect was of the sound being there - but not the speaker.

'Course, this is what I love about them for music. But I would never have thought they could be so good as an AV speaker, nor that it was possible to get home cinema sounding like that.

Having said all that, I'm not yet sure they're keepers. I daren't plug the testicals back in just yet, because although different, I fear it's going to be a damn near run thing (Wellington - Waterloo) in this room, in this set-up. But another testimony for the ESL's.

Mrs S has seen the light and is a believer again

(She's layed down the law about the Lowthers so, which is a real pity, cos they are beguiling in ways, and make a fabulous dining room speaker if you ignore the small detail of there being no room left in the dining room. Ebay here they come...)

I'm Martin.

I've seen an episode of Grand Designs from some years ago now where the bloke had a 5.1 QUAD system with electrostatic fronts and flat panel rears. The flat panels were disguised as framed pictures hanging on the walls. So there is a precedent but I'll grant you it is not something you see that often
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, I remember that episode. I believe Martin Logan do an AV setup too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Why wouldn't they be good for AV work Or football commentary, or anything else for that matter?

I've heard a couple of tales of people thinking that there was someone in the other room, when the other room had Radio 4 playing through ESLs.

Can't go wrong mate, Mrs S will get used to the size after a while. Keepers

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No reason at all, except the size of an AV system would put a lot of people off I think.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

You can hide them in my livingroom if necessary . your wife won't see them there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

The case for the defence M'Lord

[IMG][/IMG]

edit : Harry - her son, my step-son, suggested the answer was to get a MUCH bigger TV. I like the boys style! I'll leave him to work on his Mum
    Last edited by Oldpinkman; 18-09-2014 at 16:16. Reason: Harry's comment

I'm Richard.

And by way of contrast, the dainty, delicate, twee Lowthers

[IMG][/IMG]

I bet she regrets calling the Ventricals "big and ugly" ...

I'm Grant.

No doubt, the Ventricals do looks superb and fit in much better....in fact they look fabulous in that set up.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

My apologies Grant. I realise I have jumped into this thread missing out essential background, posted elsewhere during my sabbatical from this forum.

Those speakers you mistook for Ventricals are in fact the Lowther Fidelios I lovingly restored to their proper and rightful beauty (I say "restored" - but I don't believe the guy I bought them from changed drivers as he claimed, and I suspect they were always a pile of poo before I fixed them. I should really say "allowed the beautiful cabinets to achieve their true potential" rather than restored - but its a bit of a saga.)

These beauties are the delicate dainty (but amplifier demanding) Ventricals front of house

[IMG][/IMG]

(Currently stored behind the sofa)

And these were an experiment with Kef R900's

[IMG][/IMG]

D'ya see now why she was premature in being so rude about the "big ugly" Ventricals? However, I favour Harry's "keep the ESL's and get a bigger telly" route - although the picture on that Phillips is the best I've ever seen...

Why is life so difficult?

Anyway, I take the point that I can't keep hoarding and something has to go, and reluctantly I think it will be the Lowthers.
    Last edited by Oldpinkman; 19-09-2014 at 06:53. Reason: tidying up some predictive text from the android!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast