+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Bias lighting for my telly...

I'm Grant.

Hoping to see this next week mate
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Hope to see you there!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Got the bias lighting installed last night...
    it's good, real good.
    It does exactly what they say it does.

Post pics and a full write up soon.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

Aye see it Saturday mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

me too....although need to know where
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Aye that would be good Grant . Just follow the light mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Right, enough faffing about time for an update.
    Apologies for less than brilliant phone pictures...

Backlighting setup installed, it's good, real good. It does exactly what they say it does.
    Why does it work? All the theory is here:
    http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/blb.htm

Did my research and ordered the Kit from from a company called CinemaQuest in the States.
    http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/customhome.htm
    Great email response to my (dumb) questions and advised on the right kit for my setup.
    Was told that getting things like colour temperature, luminance levels etc was absolutely worth getting spot on.
    For flat panel TVs close to the wall they suggested their "IdealLume Panel Light kit"
    http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm#panelight

This comes with two 6500k fluorescent tubes and all the wiring you need to get it working.
    I was advised that this would get the backlighing benefit, but for best aesthetic effect a light on each edge of the TV would be best, so ordered two kits, four tubes in all.

Interesting few hours installing it all, let me tell you about it...

Two of these:

What you get:
    Instructions, two lamps, all the wiring you need and various bits 'n bobs to install them. Wall mount, cable ties and double sided tape. Theres not a lot of weight in the tubes, so tape is do-able, though the instructions advise against using tape with Samsung TVs because of the type of black paint they use, and my TV was...yup, a Samsung.

The boy was over to help me set it up, here he's (helpfully) using his foot for scale once I plugged the lamps in to test them.

OK, so whats the best way to install them behind the telly?
    As a "fit and forget" kinda guy I didn't want to have to worry about them falling off, so decided to hook cable ties into the ventilation slots in the back of the TV and secure the lamps that way.
    Easy peasy right? Just push cable tie through a hole, and hook it round to come out the hole beside it?

Nope! The slots on the back the TV are angled so bit of a nightmare to do it easily. Just my luck...
    Well, cable ties were the way to go, fit 'n forget and all that, so I soldiered on. Did I lose 5 hours of my life trying to feed cable ties through..?
    No, I unscrewed the back panel off my plasma and fitted them when it was off!

Not as scary as it looks, had some "plasma buzz" on my last telly and I removed the back panel and tightened up all the circuit boards which fixed it. When I had the panel off the big one, I took the opportunity to tighten everything up.

Hooking lamps up to the back of the TV:
    Double cable ties looped through ventilation holes.

All installed and working, ready to put TV back on wall:

It works!

Naa, forget that it REALLY works, a much improved picture.
    Crisper image, colours were better and blacks were now jet black but you could still make out all subtle detail.
    Watched same clip with and without lighting on and it was night and day better.

Wiring it all up:
    Each lamp has a male and female Fig-8 power socket so its easy to "daisy-chain" them together. Each has a power on/off switch.
    I have them all connected together with all power switches on, plugged in to my Belkin PF30 conditioner which has switchable sockets. Sitting down to watch a movie I just press a button on the front of the Belkin and the lighting comes on. Simples.

Some more pics then some practical considerations based on my own experience that might be useful for anyone going down this road.
    Its Movie night!

So, worth the effort and expense then?
    Absolutely without a doubt.

I felt going in to this I wanted to to it once and do it right...forget about the hassle of setting it up and just enjoy it.
    Maybe not the cheapest way to do it I guess, but worth it for me.
    Having discussed it with the guys over at CinemaQuest over email, they say the most important factor is getting as close to 6500K colour temperature as you can, some of the LED striplights you can get on Ebay (which I initially looked at?) were quite a bit off. AV forums are a good source of info for what works and what doesn't and I found them full of great information.
    Good bunch of links here:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=av...ial&channel=sb

So I reckon if your TV sits on a stand...
    It would be better to stick an Ikea lamp(say) behind it with a true 6500K daylight bulb than get LED striplights from Ebay or whatever that you don't know the colour temp of around 4 edges of your TV.

If its on the wall...
    Source some GOOD led striplights as close to 6500K as you can, preferably with a dimmer so you can set the ideal backlighting level for your setup.
    10% is the recommended amount and it DOES make a difference to image quality.
    You'll know it when you hit the sweet spot.

So absolutely worth it and I'd go further to say that if you enjoy your TV and have invested in a big telly your really missing a trick not trying out some kind of Bias lighting.

My take on it that its like mastering for vinyl and playing it back at home?
    At the Studio the movies are created to be as the director intended in "mastering suites", using backlit displays, for colour accuracy and picture quality, similar as mastering for vinyl. Colour grading is a big part of cinematography and the overall film experience.
    At home, just as with our hifi's, I reckon the better the reproduction equipment you have the closer you get to that original recording or movie, just as the Director or musician intended.

I reckon if backlighting can get you closer to that original vision then its a great upgrade.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-11-2014 at 10:56.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep, seen this and it really does improve the picture markedly, well worth it if you've invested in a nice telly.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Darren.

Nice write up Gary . Your bias lighting looks great in the photo's, I've not had time to investigate lighting any further since my last post however I now have an Oppo 105D and have been offered a deal on an Audiolab 8200X7 that the dealer should be taking as p/x in a couple of weeks which will enable me to use the Oppo as a pre amp, which I'm really looking forward too.

You've suggested using LED strip lights for wall mounting, I'm still working my way through the links you've provided (thank you), so apologies if I just haven't read far enough yet but so far the only reference I've seen to these is either the Antec (which I'm not really interested in) and Apollo lighting which I'm struggling to find, do you have any recommendations?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast