+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Origin Live Encounter Mk3A Tonearm. REVIEW

I'm Clive.

Default Origin Live Encounter Mk3A Tonearm. REVIEW

As requested by Andrei. A review of the Origin Live Encounter Mk3A Tonearm.

Some basic facts first.
    Length: 240mm
    Over Hang: 17.24mm
    Offset: 23 deg.
    Pivot to Spindle:223mm
    Arm Mass: 12
    Null Points: 65.2/122.3mm
    Mount: Standard Rega single point

The arm has dual pivots, which is supposed according to OL to give you all the advantages of a uni-pivot but none of the disadvantages i.e.sideways stability. Bias setting is via a weight and thread. A VTA adjuster is included as standard but this cannot be adjusted on-the-fly.

Inside the box is the tonearm with fixed phono cable (Cardas) ending in the famous Eichmann Bullet RCA phono plugs. With the tonearm I got a set of hex keys, for the counter weight, and for the antiskating weight. The Ortofon Tracking Force gauge mentioned in the owner's manual was missing, as was the cork washer needed for mounting. These are necessary items so that you are able to adjust tracking force with the counter weight on the non-threaded tonearm stub. As I have a digital scale, so this was not an issue. I ordered the washer from OL which arrived very quickly.
    Origin Live should revise their manual. While it contains lots of information, more pictures and a better step by step installation information would be advantageous for the beginner.

Once the cork washer arrived I proceeded with the install. Every thing was relatively easy until tracking weight was being set. There are no marking, so zeroing the arm and dialling in the weight was not an option. The amount of movement needed on the counter weight is minute, so setting the weight for my Cadenza Bronze took some time. Eventually 2.5grms was achieved. Setting VTA, Bias etc. all went very smoothly. Rega can supply at extra cost a counter weight with a fine tuning weight drilled into it, which would of course make setting weight much easier. If you don't change cartridges very often then of course this is less of an issue.

To my surprise, the arm sounded a huge step better than my previous arm (a OL Silver Mk3) which could never be described as poor. I expected it to be better but this was a magnitude more than expected. Soundstage increased as did depth and detail. On testing with the latest HiFi News Test Record the cartridge would now track all the test bands on the record with a sure footidness I have never heard before. Totally amazing.

I have in the past owned arms by SME and Linn but I am convinced that the Encounter beats them. The finish is to a very high standard, maybe not quite up to SME standards but very few manufacturers achieve that but still this is an exceptionally well made product.

Clive
    Last edited by Clive197; 15-09-2014 at 09:01.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great stuff, Clive, but………………………………………….

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Marco, there is a lovely picture above and to the left.

But just to keep you a happy bunny.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Andrei.

Thanks for that Clive. I am thinking of upgrading my tonearm, and OL is is my current preferred choice. Actually 'preferred choice' is a bit futile at the moment as I presently have all the financial resources as a church mouse. All the same I keep my eyes peeled for user experience of the better OLs, SME M2-9, better Micro Seikis. Normally I don't put to much stock in Commercial Websites, but I reckon there is some worthwhile info on the Funk and OL websites. I'm very glad for you that it has worked out. I guess after a holiday downunder and some serious upgrades it is time to sit back and enjoy. Actually not just the music, but I have just noticed you have the 5G which together with the arm must make for a pretty decent look.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Clive.

Hi Andrei, sitting back and listening to cool music, sounds like a plan (no pun intended). Your right the TT does look pretty tasty and it sounds as good if not better than it looks.

My dilemma is the MNB. Do I, or don't I, that is the question. On Saturday yes, Sunday no, Monday yes, Tuesday no. Wednesday ?. Forgetting the confidence issue, I'm still not convinced my ears will hear a difference. They are trained ears having been in the trade, so I know how to listen. I get that the majority of MNB owners will be jumping up and down shouting that it made a huge difference to their system, they would, they have a vested interested. Very few people will admit that maybe they should have spent the money on music. All this pontification is not helpful, I'm going to have to make my own decision.

Clive
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post

...................My dilemma is the MNB. Do I, or don't I, that is the question.
    Clive
    I DID.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread