+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linn Index

I'm Ray.

Default Linn Index

Any opinions on Lin Index bookshelf speakers? Looking for a smaller set of speakers that will fit in a recess in a room.

Also considering the Celestion 3 as an option. Any other recommendations would be most welcome.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by raygreen View Post
    Any opinions on Lin Index bookshelf speakers? Looking for a smaller set of speakers that will fit in a recess in a room.

Also considering the Celestion 3 as an option. Any other recommendations would be most welcome.
    I had a pair of Index 2's a while ago, I quite liked them, although rather oddly, when paired with the older Linn Majik amp they had no oomph or low end presence until fairly loud. When used with a different amp they sounded pretty nice for the price.

synsei Guest

If you need something small with a bit of 'oomph' you could do a helluva lot worse than a pair of Mission 760i's or its improved sibling, the 780se. I have been running a pair of 760i's for a couple of months now and they are astonishing, even bettering my ART Skibo's in some respects

I'm Richard.

Are they bookshelf speakers? I had a pair in a kitchen system, I liked them but they are not very accurate (accentuate the bass IMO) - completely inoffensive sound though. Depends on amp I guess, I used vintage Nad 3020 & A&R A60 to drive them.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by raygreen View Post
    Any opinions on Lin Index bookshelf speakers?
    Deadly dull and boring. As has been suggested, they are inoffensive because they do nothing wrong, but they also do nothing much!

Now a pair of these are in a different league: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...eant-Series-II

Or these which are very compact and sound great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MISSION-78...item2594eeaf1d
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dowser View Post
    Are they bookshelf speakers? I had a pair in a kitchen system, I liked them but they are not very accurate (accentuate the bass IMO) - completely inoffensive sound though. Depends on amp I guess, I used vintage Nad 3020 & A&R A60 to drive them.
    If you've owned a pair then you must be aware that they are very small speakers. I am also very surprised to hear that your pair accentuated bass and as such you didn't consider them accurate, certainly not an accusation I could throw at the pair I have here. I own several amps and the wee Missions sound fab hooked up to all of them, perhaps it was a siting issue...

EDIT: Or were you referring to the Index's?

I'm Lee.

I wouldn't say they are small speakers, certainly not bookshelf. I have a pair myself in the loft.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm James.

I've liked all Linn speakers I've owned [Index II, Nexus & Keilidh.] None set the world alight but they sound "nice" & don't draw attention to themselves.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I wouldn't say they are small speakers, certainly not bookshelf. I have a pair myself in the loft.
    Again, Index's or 760i's? If 760i's then mine must have shrunk in the wash...

Not mine by the way, mine are camera shy... hehe

I'm Lee.

The Index's.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast