+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onkyo 607 help needed!

I'm Craig.

Default Onkyo 607 help needed!

I've had this problem for some time, but have lived with it up until yesterday when the wife went mental at me over it, so...when switching on the amp, TV, and Virgin TiVo, it takes an excessively long time for a picture to appear onscreen, due to some sort of problem within the Onkyo.
    Now, my question is, as I use the TV through the HDMI 1 input, is it likely to be just that input that is faulty, and could I just use say, HDMI 3, or are they all interlinked, and still likely to be as slow starting up?

Thanks in advance!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Grant.

Managed to get connected via my phone on data.
    Bloody hospital does not have bb.
    I've heard of problems with these and as far as am aware it is the hdmi board on onkyo that is culprit. Has a very slow handshake time.anything up to 5 mins especially with tivo. You could try disconnecting tick and see if it is quicker with other equipment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Craig.

Thanks Grant
    Thing is, it hasn't always been sooooooooo slow to connect!

Just re querying what I asked earlier, are all the HDMI inputs linked together, meaning a slow handshake no matter which one I select?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Neil.

I make all my connections direct to the TV and only use my amplifier for sound. It never made sense to me to use the video aspect of these amps unless one was using a projector or had an older display only plasma, where there was maybe only one video input.

Is there a technical reason for using your amp this way?

Regards Neil

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I make all my connections direct to the TV and only use my amplifier for sound. It never made sense to me to use the video aspect of these amps unless one was using a projector or had an older display only plasma, where there was maybe only one video input.

Is there a technical reason for using your amp this way?

Regards Neil
    Nope, not technical, just the way I thought was best.....
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Grant.

As far as hdmi connections are concerned I'd suspect that they are all the same. I would probably only u see hdmi if I was using it for audio and video otherwise I'd use an audio connection . In your case it could be the solution . Onkyos have problems with handshaking and always have. Great machines though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Nope, not technical, just the way I thought was best.....
    In which case hook all your av sources to the TV direct and use coax or optical cables for digital surround data transfer to the amp. I always felt that putting the video through an extra set of connections was possibly going to degrade the picture. There are some av amps that contain line doubling/video enhancing technology so connecting through one of those might make sense but many TVs also do that now too - hence the question re there being a technical reason for having it as you have it at the present time.

Regards Neil

I'm Darren.

I also have a 607 and a 606 with which I have had problems with the HDMI board, what you describes sounds like the beginning of the HDMI board failing, this is how the problems with my 606 started. My 607 has an intermittent fault which I have yet to address but I believe it is the same fault as the 606 which I successfully resolved (with the exception of the OSD) by replacing 5 capacitors. I did this about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Google onkyo sr606 hdmi problem and you'll probably find your symptoms are similar.

Here is a video detailing the repair procedure for the 606 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o.

Hopefully replacing the 5 100uF 4V caps on the 607 HDMI board (which I think are all on the same side) will resolve your issues, I can't guarantee it but I'd say it's worth a go, I have new replacement caps if you want them let me know and I'll send them to you (FOC).

IIRC the failure is due to ineffective cooling, do you have plenty of ventilation around the receiver?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Darren.

30 page thread here (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...r-dummies.html) detailing a number of Onkyo HDMI board repairs, may be worth a flick through?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Craig.

Hmmm.....re cooling, there is enough ventilation, having said that, the unit does seem to throw out more heat than I recall it doing...?
    I must admit I'm pondering on getting a cheap Pioneer from Richer Sounds rather than arse around with it, I'm no longer as bothered as I used to be with AV, and at £99 it looks fine.
    Thoughts chaps and ladies?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast