+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4k UHD

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    Well I can't figure out why the smart tv won't pause live tv, it has a pause button on the remote.
    It will only pause live tv when it's connected to the youview box (which I want to get rid of)

cheers Al
    yes you need a hard drive of some sort to do that. its got to store the info somewhere
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Well, first of all, you've certainly got the right type of TV for future proofing. The Samsung's have gone all out to support the latest formats, so as long as it's a 4K TV, then it also supports HEVC/H.265 decoding which is exactly what you'll want for the 4K broadcasts when they arrive. There is but one 4K broadcast channel at the moment, which, if your Samsung TV has a built in Satellite receiver you can check out, and it is STUNNING! The only drawback is that it's just a 10 minute loop of test content at the moment. If you're already using Freesat, just run the full scan of all channels (i.e. select Satellite rather than Freesat from the tuning menu) and it'll find the Astra UHD test channel. Guaranteed you'll watch it on loop for at least half an hour with your jaw dropped. Unfortunately if you then go and watch some 4K Netflix or Amazon, it'll look totally crap by comparison - barely discernible from standard HD in fact.
    If you have a higher end Samsung such as the 8500 model, you're also getting the extended colour render and high contrast/HDR capabilities. This is where all of the interesting work is going on at the moment. There is a film pack you can purchase through Samsung where you get Life of Pi remastered in HDR and it looks wonderful on a suitable TV. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of this in the not too distant future.
    Rich

I'm Graham.

Well I can't figure out why the smart tv won't pause live tv, it has a pause button on the remote.
    It will only pause live tv when it's connected to the youview box (which I want to get rid of)

cheers Al
    My Samsung smart tv needs an attached hard drive, I got a tiny 1TB portable HD from 'tbay and works fine......however pause and rewind / fast forward works well but the recording bit is that you can't watch any other channel whilst recording ok if you are playing dvd or streaming tv but not whilst watching another digital channel
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

I'm Alan.

the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Jerry.

the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker
    Almost a year since Alan's post-is there much 4k available?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alan.

I posted this in 2014, I still see adverts for TV's and in small print at the bottom of the screen is "4K ready", and I was right, these "4K ready" TV's are half the price I paid, will it be 3,4,5 years before this con actually arrives?

I need a word with Santa Claus.

cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Jerry.

I think all electronics take a massive hit when the next years model comes out. I have just ordered a 4k ready AV amp because the price dropped £100 overnight everywhere. No doubt it will be £100 cheaper again when next years version arrives.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I think all electronics take a massive hit when the next years model comes out. I have just ordered a 4k ready AV amp because the price dropped £100 overnight everywhere. No doubt it will be £100 cheaper again when next years version arrives.
    The trick is to wait till the new models have just come out or are a few weeks from being released then if you are lucky you can have last years model for a massive reduction. Model improvements are usually features and less so performance. The trick will be finding the previous model stock.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

And sometimes new ones performance has been sacrificed for more "in features" .. near new secondhand models can occasionaly be had for peanuts.
    Or beans as they should be called
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    And sometimes new ones performance has been sacrificed for more "in features" .. near new secondhand models can occasionaly be had for peanuts.
    Or beans as they should be called
    That also is true.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast