+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4k UHD

I'm Alan.

Default 4k UHD

Hi Guys,
    I've just installed a new Samsung 4K UHD telly, I could do with some help please, I'm thick when it comes to technology stuff.

I can get HD TV on about 4 channels, but how does one find the 4k stuff?

I have talktalk tv youview, which only seems to offer the ability to pause live tv over the smart tv I have, it can record programmes, but as I have catchup tv and I-player, I wonder whether I need youview at all?

my smart remote has a pause button, but it says "recording (or timeshift) is currently unavailable.

do I need a new aerial?

any advice welcome

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Confused.

I'm not much 'thinner' than you but I don't think there's much native 4K broadcast. A John Lewis TV salesman advised me that it sort of upscales HD to give the appearance of more detail. No doubt someone who really understands these things will be along shortly to educate us both.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Alan.

Thanks Dave,
    I sort of understand that the 4k telly takes a HD programme and improves it (upscales), but I can't see any evidence of this, in the showroom there was a display showing 4k and it was obviously better, but how does one access it?

regards Al
    My system,

Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    RCM Okki Nokki

I'm sorted.

Looks like just via Netflix at the moment

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-4k-tv-1048954

I'm Neil.

These are cars waiting for wheels as there is no 4K broadcast material yet. Any will be via disc or as mentioned streaming services. So you have bought a future proof product but that future isn't here yet.

Regards Neil

I'm Alan.

Thanks chaps,
    that techradar article was informative, I can't wait to see what it does, well I'll have to actually.

think I'll try Netflix just to see what it's like.

cheers Al
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

I'm Gary.

Always say future proofings a good thing provided the set does all the other stuff well enough for the price.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Well I can't figure out why the smart tv won't pause live tv, it has a pause button on the remote.
    It will only pause live tv when it's connected to the youview box (which I want to get rid of)

cheers Al
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

I'm Anthony.

Al

Perhaps you can use a USB hard drive for that. My telly can record and pause TV if used with a USB HD. Any old USB drive will do; I used an old 256Mb
    I had lying around. Works a treat.
    Main System : Apple MacMini - Via USB - Mytek Stereo192 DAC/pre - Reference Fidelity ic's - Quad QSP Power - Talk3 speaker cable - PMC 23 Loudspeakers
    Secondary System : Apple Imac - Jriver MC - RME ADI-2 DAC - Klotz MC5000 ic's - Edifier R1280T active loudspeakers.

I'm Mike.

Unfortunately UHD isn't 4k, you can get true 4k displays but they aren't for home use. i was at a training day recently run by Extron, a supplier of ours, they basically said that the bandwidth needed to carry the signal in full fat is prohibitive as well as the HDMI cable just can't carry that amount of info, so what they have to do is dial down the bit rate, which means a smaller colour palette, Redray which apparently is the name for the 4k disks and players isn't widely available yet, plus there is nothing really recorded on the medium.

so what does this mean, well if you need a new tv NOW then you may as well buy one even though it's not really 4k, plus there is practically nothing available to watch on UHD (see i'm not saying 4k as there is NOTHING in that format), i have a friend with a UHD tv, she told me that Breaking Bad was available in UHD, however she couldn't stream it as her 32mbps wasn't enough. In short i think it's going to be another white elephant just like 3D, I'm sure in the future we will be watching on 4k or more, but not for a while.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast