+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tannoy Dorset T185

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Alex, as I mentioned earlier in the thread the 760's have demonstrated conclusively that I need smaller speakers in this room to achieve a balanced sound. The Coles failures are my own doing, I readily admit, and yes they are still currently available from Falcon Acoustics and are indeed still being manufactured by Coles. The issue is that there is just one guy who makes them and he has been working for Coles since the ark and is due to retire. I have heard from the next best thing to the horses mouth that once he retires production will cease.
    Are the DM4's too big then? Even if production of the 4001G stops, a DM4 minus the Coles is still a usable speaker. It sounds not too bad without the Coles supertweeter, or a different unit can be used.

From memory, and I would need to check, the DM4 runs the HF1300 up to it's upper high frequency limit. The DM2 limits the extension of the HF1300.

I have both Spendor BC1 and Rogers LS3/6, both use the HF1300, the BC1 uses a Coles 4001G above it, the LS3/6 uses Celestion HF2000 above it's HF1300, I don't think anyone could hear any difference in top end.
    Spendorman

I'm Paul.

All speakers are a compromise Dave. Best advice is to stick with ones which allow you to really enjoy your music regardless of budget. Don't feel that you have to or need to spend loads. If the Missions do it for you, then surely that's a great thing as spares are readily available and cheap! If you can, get a listen to the 780SE's which are also little gems as they have a little more in the bass power department than the 760's but are still missing the lower Octave. That's the thing with most little speakers...you will miss the bottom Octave (or two in some cases) but they do so much else so well. Imaging and good midrange. That tweeter can be improved upon too IF ever needed.

It's not the cost of the drivers though. Some budget drivers, with reasonable response mated to a good cabinet and crossover design will always sound better than using expensive drivers with a poor crossover and cabinet design. Mission got it right with the 760i.

As mentioned when we chatted, have a long think as the route you're going down opens up other options including slim floor standers and other stand mounts. There'll always be "better" out there, but what matters for you is picking something that you really enjoy and can live with long term irrespective of what might be "better".

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    All speakers are a compromise Dave. Best advice is to stick with ones which allow you to really enjoy your music regardless of budget. Don't feel that you have to or need to spend loads. If the Missions do it for you, then surely that's a great thing as spares are readily available and cheap! If you can, get a listen to the 780SE's which are also little gems as they have a little more in the bass power department than the 760's but are still missing the lower Octave. That's the thing with most little speakers...you will miss the bottom Octave (or two in some cases) but they do so much else so well. Imaging and good midrange. That tweeter can be improved upon too IF ever needed.

It's not the cost of the drivers though. Some budget drivers, with reasonable response mated to a good cabinet and crossover design will always sound better than using expensive drivers with a poor crossover and cabinet design. Mission got it right with the 760i.

As mentioned when we chatted, have a long think as the route you're going down opens up other options including slim floor standers and other stand mounts. There'll always be "better" out there, but what matters for you is picking something that you really enjoy and can live with long term irrespective of what might be "better".
    Admittedly your upgrade and cabinet proposal for the Missions is incredibly tempting however I need to cover all the bases before coming to a decision. As we discussed on the phone I am happy to lose the bottom octave if the overall sound floats my boat and the 760's are so nearly there in that respect. Like you I suspect that the cabinets may be responsible for their slight shortfall in refinement on certain material. Do you think it might be wise to play with the existing cabs for now to see what can be achieved? I'm thinking sound deadening material applied to the inside walls of the cabs to reduce resonance, this at least would give me some small indication of what to expect from a redesigned enclosure.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Are the DM4's too big then? Even if production of the 4001G stops, a DM4 minus the Coles is still a usable speaker. It sounds not too bad without the Coles supertweeter, or a different unit can be used.

From memory, and I would need to check, the DM4 runs the HF1300 up to it's upper high frequency limit. The DM2 limits the extension of the HF1300.

I have both Spendor BC1 and Rogers LS3/6, both use the HF1300, the BC1 uses a Coles 4001G above it, the LS3/6 uses Celestion HF2000 above it's HF1300, I don't think anyone could hear any difference in top end.
    I use a Kef T27 above the HF1300 and it sounds fine. At least I think it does, my hearing doesn't go that far these days so I'm probably only hearing the Celestion anyway

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I use a Kef T27 above the HF1300 and it sounds fine. At least I think it does, my hearing doesn't go that far these days so I'm probably only hearing the Celestion anyway
    Yes, T27 was used as well, believe in Rogers Export Monitors, Colloms Mini Monitor and many more.
    Spendorman

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Tannoy Mayfair and Dorset are basically similar. The Mayfair having a 'posh' cabinet and the Dorset being much plainer. The sizes are similar and the drivers identical.
    I can assure thee Geoff they are not the same regardless of both using the same units. I know ive lived with both.. The 'Dorset' has a single Presence control on the rear, The 'Mayfair' has a Presence & also an additional Treble control on top under smoked pannel which is all nice & neat.. The only downside is im a paper cone fan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567