+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony PS-6750 - mat suggestions

I'm Paul.

Default Sony PS-6750 - mat suggestions

When I bought my Sony PS-6750, it came with a 5mm thick solid rubber mat from another Sony deck. I also got the original Sony oil filled mat which the previous owner didn't like as it was a bit lumpy. I have left it under a heavy piece of solid marble for a few days and succeeded in flattening it out to a degree but it is still slightly 'warped'.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement mat at under £50 new or s/h that would offer an improvement over the 5mm solid rubber mat. Ideally the design of the mat should not be too modern as I would like to keep the deck looking as original as possible but this aspect is not a deal-breaker.

So far the Transfi Reso-mat has caught my eye (despite its modern looks) and I wonder if anyone has tried this out with a DD deck.

I'm open to any other suggestions. It would also be helpful if the mat was not a magnet for cat hair! I think that rules out felt mats.

I'm Geoff.

I've generally preferred slightly heavier rubber mats on Japanese turntables including DDs. Mainly I think, because they tend to have lighter platters that ring quite easily and benefit from a bit of added mass and damping.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    When I bought my Sony PS-6750, it came with a 5mm thick solid rubber mat from another Sony deck. I also got the original Sony oil filled mat which the previous owner didn't like as it was a bit lumpy. I have left it under a heavy piece of solid marble for a few days and succeeded in flattening it out to a degree but it is still slightly 'warped'.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement mat at under £50 new or s/h that would offer an improvement over the 5mm solid rubber mat. Ideally the design of the mat should not be too modern as I would like to keep the deck looking as original as possible but this aspect is not a deal-breaker.

So far the Transfi Reso-mat has caught my eye (despite its modern looks) and I wonder if anyone has tried this out with a DD deck.

I'm open to any other suggestions. It would also be helpful if the mat was not a magnet for cat hair! I think that rules out felt mats.
    I am using one on my arezzo and like it. I think, but not sure, that Marco tried one on his Techie.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Default Sony PS-6750 - mat suggestions

I have a TTS8000 which already has a damped platter. I replaced the original oil filled mat with an SDS isoplatmat.

It's an outstanding mat for lighter platters and the less existing damping you have, the greater will be its effectiveness. It retails new for about £90 but your deck is worth that investment. They occasionally come up used for around the £50 mark but you have to be quick.

A number of hardcore audiophiles and box swappers have bought one after "hearing" the effect of mine.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Mike.

I use a combination of a 3 mm Achromat with a 2 mm Cork Rubber compound mat on top of that for my idler and it works very well.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I am using one on my arezzo and like it. I think, but not sure, that Marco tried one on his Techie.
    I believe Marco has since been led astray by another option - probably not suitable for this situation though.
    Account Deleted

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I have a TTS8000 which already has a damped platter. I replaced the original oil filled mat with an SDS isoplatmat.

It's an outstanding mat for lighter platters and the less existing damping you have, the greater will be its effectiveness. It retails new for about £90 but your deck is worth that investment. They occasionally come up used for around the £50 mark but you have to be quick.

A number of hardcore audiophiles and box swappers have bought one after "hearing" the effect of mine.
    Many thanks for all your replies.

Geoff's suggestion of the SDS Isoplatmat is particularly interesting as it seems the Isoplatmat offers an improvement over the original Sony oil-filled mat which is common to both the PS-6750 and TTS-8000. I found a photo of the underside of the TTS-8000 platter on the vintage knob and I can see that the PS-6750 also shares the same pale yellow platter damping material as its big brother. So, it would appear that the SDS mat is a pretty safe bet for my platter given Geoff's experiences.

I'll just have to save up for a bit but it looks like the SDS mat is worth the extra cost.

Geoff, do you also use the IsoCover or just the Isoplatmat on its own?

I'm Geoff.

I don't use the cover but I think I should and will probably get one. Without it the record tends to take a little time to grip.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.

I'm Geoff.

I've bought the cover now; thanks for the reminder.

I'm Paul.

Thanks to a couple of generous birthday gifts, I have placed an order today for the isoplatmat and cover.

This video showing it's effectiveness was the clincher - very impressive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast