+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isoplatmat Vs Acromat 1200

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Should I choose not to go with the replacement platter, which of these two options would be best in your opinion?

1) Achromat 1200 bonded to the platter with vaseline.

2) Isoplatmat bonded with thin strips of double sided tape with an Isocover placed on top.

The benefit of the Achromat would be a more direct bonding to the platter. The benefit of the Isoplatmat would be I suspect greater vibrational damping ability. The Isoplatmat is slightly more expensive. Also, it would be metal on metal which apparently is not a good thing and would require an additional layer (the Isocover) which according to Neil is also not a good thing.

Any further thoughts?
    As outlined above I don't think the Acromat is effective enough to damp the platter BUT it is obviously a perfect record/platter interface. Maybe the Isoplatmat and a 3mm Acromat would be the ticket? Remember, when using the stock arm the height adjustment would eventually not go low enough!
    The Isocover is a clever idea but maybe too thin. You could also consider a cork mat (cheap and can be had in different thicknesses) on top of the Isoplatmat. Also the thin strips of tape are not a dogma, they worked for me and are less of a hassle to remove than Vaseline.
    Regarding metal to metal I think some of the effect of the Isoplatmat is achieved with a bit of friction between the platter and mat surfaces but I can be wrong here.

Michael

I'm Leslie.

Try the IsoPlatMat and isocover, if you don't like it send it back for a refund (minus postage costs)

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by sounddampedsteel View Post
    Try the IsoPlatMat and isocover, if you don't like it send it back for a refund (minus postage costs)
    How do you recommend bonding the Isoplatmat to the Technics platter? What I like about the Achromat option is it can be directly bonded to the platter using vaseline thus helping rigidity/direct coupling, I'm guessing this would not be advised with the Isoplatmat due to its metal surface?

What are the sonic differences between the aluminium and steel versions of the Isoplatmat for the Technics? Are they equally effective? What is the weight of each?

My other slight concern is in comparison to the Achromat 1200 there is no record label indent with the Isoplatmat. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm Michael.

Out of interest, did you come to a final conclusion which mat to use?

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by krugdoktor View Post
    Out of interest, did you come to a final conclusion which mat to use?
    Yes, I've decided to go for the Inspire Hi-Fi complete Technics upgrade package which incorporates a mat similar to the Achromat, along with a re engineered original platter with billet 10mm aluminium for ultimate mass & flywheel effect.

I like the hollistic and cost effective approach of the Inspire Hi-Fi (makers of the Monarch turntable-so they know what they are doing) Technics mods - re engineered platter along with removal of DJ srtrobe dots + mat, unregulated DC PSU, upgraded internal reguator circuit, upgraded bearing housing and plinth system with sorbo pod suspension.

I plan to add a SME M2-9 arm + Ortofon 2M Bronze.

The Inspire mods strike me as relatively cost effective and comprehensive in comparison to the competition. They attend to all the main weaknesses of the stock deck in a sensible fashion. From what I can gather many of the upgrades are similar to those offered with the Monarch - upgraded bearing housing, unregulated DC PSU etc.

I'm Robert.

Sounds good Mark, What does the package cost ?

I'm Mark.

The full discounted package price is £1250. The total price for all the upgrade products if purchased individually would be £1469.

I'm Leslie.

Take a look at this web page, there are unbiased reviews and videos showing IsoFeet & IsoPlatMat. The IsoPlatMat works best with metal to metal contact so it can kill the platter. If it sits on a soft cover it will still protect the record from being fed vibrations but will be unable to remove the vibrations in the platter.

http://www.sounddampedsteel.com/hifi.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtmnr62wDsw

If you decide to order mention Art of Sound & I will refund 10% of the SDS cost.

Best Regards

Les

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Leslie,

How’s it going? What’s happened to those feet you were going to send me?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Yes, I've decided to go for the Inspire Hi-Fi complete Technics upgrade package which incorporates a mat similar to the Achromat, along with a re engineered original platter with billet 10mm aluminium for ultimate mass & flywheel effect.
    Hi Mark, how have you got on?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast