Thread: Isoplatmat Vs Acromat 1200

I'm Kevin.

What do you mean by full function?
    Remote volume and source switching?
    DAC built in?

Have a look at the Parasound Halo P5
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

The plinth does look nice.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mark.

What I mean by full function is a high quality integrated amplifier with a very good phono stage. Remote control and buit in DAC are not essential. I am looking for the best match for the Proac D18's at around £2K or less on the used market.

What I have discovered with the D18's is that they are a lot warmer and less dynamic than my previously owned Studio 130's. I don't think the KI Pearl Lite is the best match (although it's not really bad). It's a bit safe sounding and lacks resolution at the frequency extremes. I would like more extended sparkly highs, a palpable mid-range and greater control, speed and definition at the lows. I have also tried the Musical Fidelity M6 pre & power. I found this too warm, undynamic and lacking detail with these speakers. I don't think the high power this combo provides is necessary to get the best out of the D18's and if anything it could be over damping the speakers. The combination lacks immediacy and musicality- a little bit boring and safe sounding. It is a very different sound to the Musical Fidelity A1008 integrated amp which I have owned previously which was far more dynamic, detailed and involving. The A1008 (very similar in sound to the big KW500 & KW550) can sound a bit relentless with some speakers. However, I think it could work well with the D18's. It also has a very good phono stage. I feel they need an ampliier which can wake them up a little bit. I think I can now understand why Naim and D18's are a popular combination.

I'm starting to consider amplifiers along the lines of the Plinius 9200, Plinius Hautonga, Croft pre-power, Sonneteer Orton + Sedley, Leema Tucana + phono stage, Musical Fidelity A1008 or maybe a decent Exposure integrated or pre-power combo. I am of the opinion the D18's need an amplifier which can wake them up a little bit. I am looking to buy used and whichever amplifier solution I go for it must include a very good MM phono stage. My maximum budget is £2K.

Any thoughts?

I'm Leslie.

I'll give you a soft IsoCover free if you take advantage of the 10% Xmas discount off I have on the SDS IsoplatMat.

Regards

Les

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345