+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isoplatmat Vs Acromat 1200

I'm Mark.

Default Isoplatmat Vs Acromat 1200

Would an aluminium Isoplatmat with soft neoprene platter mat on top (or perhaps even the soft OL mat on top) be more effective than a Acromat 1200 on its own? It is not that much more expensive and would seem to be very well regarded. It is a constrained layer damping design - two layers of aluminium that are bonded together with a 60micron thick layer of polymer.

Could the aluminium Isoplatmat be bonded to the original platter with vaseline in the same way as the Acromat or is this not advised?

Any thoughts or experiences?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Would an aluminium Isoplatmat with soft neoprene platter mat on top (or perhaps even the soft OL mat on top) be more effective than a Acromat 1200 on its own? It is not that much more expensive and would seem to be very well regarded. It is a constrained layer damping design - two layers of aluminium that are bonded together with a 60micron thick layer of polymer.

Could the aluminium Isoplatmat be bonded to the original platter with vaseline in the same way as the Acromat or is this not advised?

Any thoughts or experiences?
    Oyaide MJ12 with BROne under mat is about the best metal mat out there for the Technics, if you like the presentation, which I do. Vaseline not required, as the BR One damps the platter, gives excellent foundation for the MJ12 to work on. There is an all rubber version too BR12 but I haven't heard one of those.

In my view the matching weight is required to get the best from the MJ12

Details here http://www.oyaide.co.uk/oyaide-turnt...ccessories.htm

These are a good alternative to the replacement platter option imho

Regards Neil

I'm Mark.

The Oyaide MJ12 is too expensive. I am sure it is good but it looks too much like Hi-Fi jewellery for my tastes. My feeling is, I would be better off looking for a used MK1 Funk Firm platter at that price level. Also, I would prefer not to use a record clamp. My understanding is the MJ12 has been designed to be used in conjunction with a clamp?

Does the BR One rubber mat fit inside the Technics lip? Could this be used in conjunction with the Isoplatmat instead of the MJ12? Are there any other cheaper 1mm/2mm rubber mats out there that fit the lip and could be used in conjunction with the Isoplatmat. I understand from research that metal on metal is not a good idea.

I'm Neil.

The Oyaide MJ12 is too expensive. I am sure it is good but it looks too much like Hi-Fi jewellery for my tastes. My feeling is, I would be better off looking for a used MK1 Funk Firm platter at that price level. Also, I would prefer not to use a record clamp. My understanding is the MJ12 has been designed to be used in conjunction with a clamp?

Does the BR One rubber mat fit inside the Technics lip? Could this be used in conjunction with the Isoplatmat instead of the MJ12? Are there any other cheaper 1mm/2mm rubber mats out there that fit the lip and could be used in conjunction with the Isoplatmat. I understand from research that metal on metal is not a good idea.
    Huge mistake re your thinking on this, it most certainly is not HiFi jewellery and is very much in my experience a viable alternative to any of the extant replacement platters available and yes I have compared them. Not saying its better its different but the BR One is required, as you rightly say that metal upon metal is not the best idea. As I stated above the MJ12 needs to be used with its weight, which takes both items into the price point of a replacement platter. I would not be so dismissive before trying this option.

I can't say how a BR One works with the item you are asking about as I have no experience of it.

Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Ive messed around with more platter mats than I care to remember and think the Resomat is the best of them all and only costs £30.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mark.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence, It's just a personal perception. Given the cost with the clamp (which I don't really want to use) a replacement platter would seem to make much better sense.

I don't know why but I've got a sneaking feeling that the replacement platter would be a significant performance upgrade.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Ive messed around with more platter mats than I care to remember and think the Resomat is the best of them all and only costs £30.
    Certainly looks different! Some outside the box thinking there. So the record sits on a bunch of carefully spread out small cones?

How would you implement the Resomat on the Technics - vaseline, on top of the stock rubber mat? How effective would it be at damping the stock platter?

I'm Andrew.

Just plonk the resomat on top of the platter and thats it, no fuckin around.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence, It's just a personal perception. Given the cost with the clamp (which I don't really want to use) a replacement platter would seem to make much better sense.

I don't know why but I've got a sneaking feeling that the replacement platter would be a significant performance upgrade.
    No offence taken but I detect a slightly closed mind and in audio that is never a good thing. The mat is beautifully engineered with slight dishing and holes cut to deal with resonances, it also has a lip to fit perfectly within the Technics platter. The mat deals with warps and when a record is placed on it with matching weight record and mat become one. with no discernible rise or fall or gaps under the record. If its badly warped though this won't cure that. I think the mat fully deserves its price and frankly nothing I have seen so far from anyone comes close re fit, finish or engineering quality - imho.

The replacement platter is an option, but as I say this item with under mat is a viable alternative and not one to throw out without trying it first.

Thing is the platters so far others have upgraded to from the original are mostly being used with extra mats, I find that interesting. This is still an area I have to explore myself but I have multiple options available for me to do so.

Regards Neil

I'm Mark.

I just prefer value for money solutions. I am very wary of foo. Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss the Oyaide mat based on its pretty appearance and high price. I would prefer not to use a record clamp in my set up & the Oyaide mat is designed to be used with one. With the the weight/clamp it comes in at £450. This is creeping towards the price of a replacement platter. I am looking for a cost effective alternative to the £75 Achromat. Otherwise I may as well go for the Funk Firm platter 1 @ £595 or perhaps try and find a used one.

I was thinikng a thin (1mm/2mm) rubber mat (like the Oyaide BR-One but non branded) with an aluminium Isoplatmat (£90) on top and a thin, soft mat on top of that - Sounnd Damped Steel offer one called the Isocover which is 1mm thick, @ £12.50.

Would this be a good alternative to the Achromat?

Does anyone sell a thin (1mm/2mm) generic rubber mat that would fit inside the lip of the Technics platter that could be used in this context?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast