+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Troubles, Solutions & Tips

I'm Geoff.

Default Computer Troubles, Solutions & Tips

As I'm renowned for regularly having catastrophic disasters with my PC (and eventually sorting them out), all due to my inveterate tinkering, so I thought a thread like this might be useful. This is intended to be non Hi-Fi related and just for computer users (as we all are) to put questions and to offer possible solutions regarding any snags encountered.

I just had a nasty, pernicious 'Adware' invasion, which I got rid of after much faffing about. Using Safe Mode and System Restore failed to clear it. Spybot and MalwareBytes failed to kill it, MSE was useless. Eventually I found AdwCleaner, free on Download.com, which cleared the nasty little infection successfully.

Knowing me, it's just a matter of time before I cock something up again. I usually have to reinstall the operating system about three times a year!

Anyway. Please post any woes or tips!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 22-08-2014 at 11:41.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I have a good tip for you.
    STOP BUGGERING ABOUT WITH THE DAMNED THING!
    That's one thing off my chest
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Thanks Chris. I shall remember that. Wish I'd thought of it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked
    Chris

I'm Brian.

Excellent idea for a thread Geoff .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

synsei Guest

I've got a good'un which has me totally stumped. As some may know I play most of my music from a PC I built around five years ago and frankly it does a fine job. I run it into a Rega DAC using a Profigold PGD4015 Oxypure digital coaxial lead which is a superbly engineered and constructed item.

So now the conundrum: When playing music files from the PC all is hunky dory, the left and right channels are correct, however when playing videos from any source via the PC the channels are reversed. Could somebody please tell me what might be causing this as I am at a total loss to explain it. It shouldn't be possible as far as I can tell and yet the problem exists...

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I've got a good'un which has me totally stumped. As some may know I play most of my music from a PC I built around five years ago and frankly it does a fine job. I run it into a Rega DAC using a Profigold PGD4015 Oxypure digital coaxial lead which is a superbly engineered and constructed item.

So now the conundrum: When playing music files from the PC all is hunky dory, the left and right channels are correct, however when playing videos from any source via the PC the channels are reversed. Could somebody please tell me what might be causing this as I am at a total loss to explain it. It shouldn't be possible as far as I can tell and yet the problem exists...
    OK, I'll have a bite on this.
    What media player do you use to play music, and what media player do you use to play movies?
    Is the sound from both pointed at the Rega DAC?
    Chris

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    OK, I'll have a bite on this.
    What media player do you use to play music, and what media player do you use to play movies?
    Is the sound from both pointed at the Rega DAC?
    I use WMP mainly Chris although I have VLC installed too but rarely use it these days. A while ago I discovered a free codec pack called K-Lite which I installed to enable me to use WMP to its full potential and yes, it is pointing at the DAC. I'd get no sound at all if it wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I use WMP mainly Chris although I have VLC installed too but rarely use it these days. A while ago I discovered a free codec pack called K-Lite which I installed to enable me to use WMP to its full potential and yes, it is pointing at the DAC. I'd get no sound at all if it wasn't
    I was not sure if you had different media players for different jobs.
    Do you have a copy of "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp?
    It's on Spotify if you don't have a copy.
    What side does the opening guitar part come in on?
    Chris

I'm Lee.

Synsei/Dave

What happens if you bypass the dac? Plug headphones into the pc's headphone socket, assuming it has one, and test again.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast