+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Stan's Fans

I'm Steve.

To paraphrase Stan Boardman... Steve bombed the Chippy.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Chippy boy,

Read the ethos (and weep.)

This is a subjectivist forum. That means trust your ears and report back. Notice a certain consistency of findings.

Now, you've observed the phenonena, or if you haven't, look to your setup, observing the physics of microphony along the way.

From this point you are free to lend us a theoretical reasoning to back your observations.

This is how science is meant to work.

It begins and ends with an enquiring mind - explore the question - how does that happen?

Are you a true scientist with an enquiring mind coupled to discerning ears or are you are technical jobsworth?

During your degree, did you grapple with the concept of empiricism?
    Hello Steve,

You could say all of the above about ghosts, ufo's, telepathy, soothsaying etc.

I would argue I *do* have a very enquiring mind. I could play devils advocate and suggest maybe others here do not.

If the perceived wisdom - as seems to be the case on this forum - is that cables and cable directionality make a difference, the un-enquiring mind goes along with that, *especially* if he or she believes they hear similar.

The enquiring mind however, says I am not so sure. Could there be other explanations, placebo or otherise? If any effect is real and noticeable, can we test it by doing blind tests? These are not the thoughts of someone with a closed mind - quite the contrary. I would love to see scientific tests (and I should stress, I dont mean measurements: I mean people sitting in rooms and being played music with different cables and being asked to identify which is which etc.) that conclusively proved this stuff.

It really puzzles me as to why such a contentious subject does not seem to have such empirical evidence (to use your term!) to conclusively support it. No more than there is conclusive evidence for UFO's. And whilst I would argue we are still in the realms of relying on the word of people who swear they have seen a ghost, there's bound to be skepticism, isn't there.

I hope you don't mind my standing my ground. I regard this as healthy (and enjoyable) argument and debate, hopefully leading to a better understanding. I trust that is what these forums are all about!
    Last edited by Chippy_boy; 26-08-2009 at 10:56.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    To paraphrase Stan Boardman... Steve bombed the Chippy.
    I think not mate.

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy_boy View Post
    Hello Steve,

You could say all of the above about ghosts, ufo's, telepathy, soothsaying etc.

I would argue I *do* have a very enquiring mind. I could play devils advocate and suggest maybe others here do not.

If the perceived wisdom - as seems to be the case on this forum - is that cables and cable directionality make a difference, the un-enquiring mind goes along with that, *especially* if he or she believes they hear similar.

The enquiring mind however, says I am not so sure. Could there be other explanations, placebo or otherise? If any effect is real and noticeable, can we test it by doing blind tests? These are not the thoughts of someone with a closed mind - quite the contrary. I would love to see scientific tests (and I should stress, I dont mean measurements: I mean people sitting in rooms and being played music with different cables and being asked to identify which is which etc.) that conclusively proved this stuff.

It really puzzles me as to why such a contentious subject does not seem to have such empirical evidence (to use your term!) to conclusively support it. No more than there is conclusive evidence for UFO's. And whilst I would argue we are still in the realms of relying on the word of people who swear they have seen a ghost, there's bound to be skepticism, isn't there.

I hope you don't mind my standing my ground. I regard this as healthy (and enjoyable) argument and debate, hopefully leading to a better understanding. I trust that is what these forums are all about!
    You've missed the BSc Hons (Physics) off of your signature.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

You guys should stop being so pedantic. It negatively affects the image of my DAC and the kind of people I mix with on forums.

Stan

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/a...p/t-21395.html

For your perusal

trailer

Phd (Google)
    And, indeed

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22779

for your further perusalment

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    You've missed the BSc Hons (Physics) off of your signature.
    Sorry, I don't understand your point?

@Stan - how so Stan? Are you kidding or being serious. Your fine product is completely untarnished in my eyes!

I'm Ian.

To the OP of this thread, my sincere apologies for wading so far off topic. Don't know what came over me.

As this is the Stan's fans thread, I would like to once more proclaim my unreserved enthusiasm for my new Caiman DAC. It's a truly marvellous bit of kit, which every way around I attach the cables

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy_boy View Post
    I don't doubt your sincerity in saying that, but I do seriously question whether it's correct.

I would defy anyone to be able to tell which way round a cable was in a proper, scientifically conducted double-blind test.

There's no physics that can support such a wacky idea and I really don't think audiophiles have stumbled upon some as yet undiscovered physical phenomenon. Turning a cable around and saying "ooh that does sound better" just doesn't cut it as a proof!

Sorry, I just don't believe it.

Cheers anyway :-)

Chippy

BSc Hons (Physics)
    Just back off hol so sorry for late response

I used to dismiss such things like this but now learned to keep an open mind and only comment on claimed snake oil tweaks if I've tried it myself Being a free thing I decided to try it with a pair of Belden CT-100 based IC's I use, believe what you like but the difference was enough to now make me take the extra few minutes of comparing any new cables added to the system.

BTW, the only thing I can think of is if its the way the shielding has been braided , if this is true or not, I don't give a shit tbh
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    I used to dismiss such things like this but now learned to keep an open mind and only comment on claimed snake oil tweaks if I've tried it myself
    Yeah, me too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567