+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple input amps

I'm Brian.

Default Multiple input amps

For the last couple of years I've been using single input amps and been very happy with them as I usually only have one source in my system . These days it's a Korus Computer Audio music server into a Rega DAC which I'm very happy with .
    A couple of weeks ago a big ol' Sony TA- FB 930R AMP came up for sale on Ebay from a seller who lived a couple of miles away and I jumped at it . TBH with you I really rate this amp and for me it's a keeper , probably in the long term .
    Today I remembered something I read in a magazine years ago , by Jimmy Hughes I think . He suggested trying all the inputs into any amp , particularly the 'Tape out ' to see which sounded the best . So being a bit bored today ( no family at home to run after ) I tried this , not expecting there to be any difference . Well. it's not often I'm right but I was wrong again. The inputs on the big Sony amp all sound different . I eventually settled on the fourth from the left - Tape 2 / MD / Output .

back.jpg

It just sounds better than all the rest . Bigger soundstage , better , tighter and deeper bass , and more slam . And the best bit - it cost nothing
    Definetely worth a try for those willing to experiment . Nothing to lose and all to gain
    Last edited by brian2957; 21-08-2014 at 16:35.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Alan.

That's a brilliant suggestion Brian. My big NEC has multiple inputs including two tape inputs, I'll give it a try.

Cheers, Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

I used to have an amp that I reckoned was best on the tuner input. But unless the differences are really noticeable this could be a good way to contract audiophilia nervosa. If you don't already have it
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

Not a problem Alan . I was quite surprised at the differences.
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Neil.

It is possible that inputs that sound best have been used signal path burnt in ones that sound worse, never used. I am not sure about this but I have read a number of reviews over the years which mention this, therefore all spinal paths need run in. In saying that I know certain types of line inputs may be set up to suit what the designers expect to be hooked up to them, so they measure/behave differently.

Just a thought, any mileage in this?

Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

I've read that in the Seventies some amp manufacturers paid special attention to the Tuner input since back then that was most purchaser's main source. But I have no idea how true that is.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

synsei Guest

My JVC gives of its best through its CD input, but then it does have a CD Direct switch which probably accounts for this

I'm Brian.

IIRC the thought behind this was that the tape output provided the cleanest / shortest path for the signal . I may be wrong here , however it does sound distinctly better than the rest IMO .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Geoff.

On older amps , maybe a difference is caused by how clean/dirty/worn the input selector switch contacts are?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

I'm not sure if he was using an older amp or not Geoff.
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast