View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 14.29%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 14.29%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

3 42.86%
  • 9/10

1 14.29%
  • 10/10

1 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club 12.08.2014 The Cult - Electric

I'm Martin.

Rather late in replying to this. I remember playing this at my cousins place around the time it came out at ear splitting volume. We went out to the pub for a couple and when we came back it was still playing. To this day I'm not entirely sure why it was still playing but we were met by a very angry neighbour :-(. Very irresponsible behaviour.

I always really liked this one though. 8/10 from me.

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

Really great band !!! I like Electric but, I'm not too much of a fan of Rick Rubin's modus operandi (the stripped down sound). Still a hard hitting album but it just wasnt quite the right blend due to the production. I prefer Sonic Temple (fabulous album) and Love. The Cult (for me) were the only ones who could ever mix psychedelic and arena rock together in a way that truly worked.
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Martin.

Not my type of music at all. I like a driving drum beat, however its gets a bit monotonous all the way through. 4/10 from me - sorry.

I'm Will.

Default The Cult morph into Judas Priest...!!!

As an early fan of 'Southern death Cult' I much prefer their earlier stuff, even 'Love' would have been more up my street!

I went to see this tour at Radio City Music Hall in New York prior to the album's release, so was really looking forward to it...what a disappointment to see the Cult become a parody of 'Bad News on Tour'...Billy Duffy even looked like Ade Edmondson's character in the 'Comic Strip Presents'.

The best thing about the evening was the support, 'Gay Bikers on Acid'...very entertaining, they even had black cardboard boxes as mock amp stacks, with 'Amstrad' emblazoned on the front...well I thought it was funny, but I'm not sure the American audience got the joke

So 3/10 for me...

P.S. Have a listen to UNKLE's 'War Stories' album, if you like the cult...
    Cheers, Will

I'm James.

A marmite album for Cult fans. Being a bit of a goth in the early 80's I'd absolutely loved Southern Death Cult and Dreamtime, and had struggled with the synths on Love. I eventually got past that and this album coincided with a new found interest in classic rock after listening to the albums of my new university mates. So when this landed on my turntable I was much more accepting of it than I had been of Love. I remember rocking out in Cardiff St Davids Hall on the UK tour for the album, and had an absolutely massive tour poster up in my student digs for the next couple of years. Looking back on it now, it's dated a bit and is showing up it's formulaic underpinnings somewhat, but is a decent listen for all that. 7/10 for me
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12