+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Technics tonearm - Origin Live Silver MK3A or Audio Note Arm 1?

I'm Mark.

Default Replacing the Technics tonearm - Origin Live Silver MK3A or Audio Note Arm 1?

Hi all,

I have recently joined the forum to seek advice on how best to modify my 1210 MK2.

I will shortly be adding Isonoe footers and replacing the stock rubber mat with an Achromat 1200.

I also want to replace the arm. I would like, if possible, to stick with MM cartridges so this rules out the Jelco 750 which would appear to be better suited to MC cartridges. If any one has had positive experiences with the Jelco + MM carts please feel free to chime in.

I have narrowed it down to either The Origin Live Silver MK3A or The Audio Note Arm 1. Both are around the same price and from the online research I've done both seem highly regarded.

For a MM cart I would like to keep my spend below £300. The top two contenders for me at the moment are the Ortofon 2M bronze and the Goldring 1042, probably 2M Bronze with the OL Silver arm or the 1042 with AN Arm 1. It would appear the well regarded AN MM carts (which are over my £300 budget) are based on the Goldring 1042 so I suspect good synergy with the AN arm and the Ortofon 2M range are apparently a good match for Rega type arms such as the OL Silver.

What are the thoughts of the Technics enthusiasts on here? Which combination would offer the best sound in your opinion?

I want to improve on the Technics dark, rather shut in character. I want a wider sound-stage, greater detail and a more musical, airy, high fidelity performance.

I look forward to your opinions on what you feel would be the best combination.

Thanks

Mark

I'm Andy.

Audionote Arm1
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mark.

Thanks for the quick reply. Which of the above mentioned MM carts would you recommend?

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Hi all,
    If any one has had positive experiences with the Jelco + MM carts please feel free to chime in.
    The Denon DL110 (a high output MC that connects to the MM input on the phono stage) and my Jelco seemed happy enough together.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Clive.

Origin Live silver3A. I hereby declare I'm biased as I've used one on my SL1210M5G for the last 13 months with a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. I also tried it out with the Ortofon 2M Black which also worked very well in the arm. The MC Quintet are getting excellent reviews. If your not keen on Ortofon try some models from Rega, Goldring or Nagaoka.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Neil.

Both tonearms listed are based on Rega arms but my money would be on the Origin Live. I have used one on a Technics and it works well.

Re cartridges I would seek out a Benz Micro Gold, which is a high output MC design, which is 5 mv vs the Goldrings 6.5mv output. With a good solidstate phonostage there won't be any problem. However a valve phonostage or valve integrated with a built in phonostage much might then depend on speaker to amp synergy - re ability to drive properly - slightly more so than with a solidstate design.

That cart and Origin Live combination works very well with a lovely open detailed sound but all the qualities you want and at a similar price.

At more money the Jelco 750 tonearm and Denon DL103 cart works very well.

Regards Neil

I'm Mark.

This is great. Lots of differing opinions. Just what I was looking for. Keep em coming. The best tonearm and MM cart match for the Technics under £1100?

I'm Angus.

Hello Mark,
    PM sent.

regards

Angus

I'm Lynton.

I want to improve on the Technics dark, rather shut in character. I want a wider sound-stage, greater detail and a more musical, airy, high fidelity performance.
    Mine is not really a differing opinion in that I have no doubt there are better arms out there for your Technics though not sure what is best. However, I got essentially the same end result in a different way.

About 4 years ago when I was researching exactly the same question, I found it very difficult/impossible to decide which arm to go with so I shelved my arm decision for a bit, made a left field choice at the time and bought a Mike New bearing first as I knew as soon as I looked at its design that I'd be getting one eventually. Though it used the bulk of my budget, I had enough left to rewire my 1210 arm myself (with Silver van den Hul 150S) and add a KAB damper. Other mods followed and I'm sure more will come. My point is however, that the overall result from the initial bearing and arm changes was the elimination of that slightly dark, closed in two dimensional soundstage and a fantastic sounding TT. My thinking at the time was that whatever arm I later added would always benefit from the bearing. It's just that I'm quite happy with what I have and I've not gotten around to that yet so I'm always looking at threads such as this to see what people choose by way of different arms. Incidentally, I like MMs myself and the the mid weight Techy arm, particularly with KAB damping, continues to suit me fine even with higher compliance items.
    Lyn

I'm Chris.

Effective mass of Jelco 750D is about 13g (without headshell). Buy a headshell with the right weight and it will fit perfectly with alot of different MM or MC.

Effective mass of the Origin Live Silver mk3 is 12g.

I´m, right now, looking at IsoKinetik Silver Melody SM750. A Jelco 750D with improvements done by IsoKinetik. Many uses the great 750D as base model or Jelco is a OEM supplyer of different companies: Ortofon, Koetsu, JR Trans Rotor and many more.

I have a Cardas KAB rewired arm with the KAB Fluid Damper. That is a very good option IMO. You could be better off with KAB mods and to use the money on Mike New Bearing!

For me it is easier to by a tonearm with headshell. Then I can buy a superlight headshell and use a higher compliance cartridge. Buy a heavy headshell and I can use a cartridge with lower compliance. Much more flexible IMO

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/a...y-tonearm.html

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast