+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A mad amount of projects. Mostly Class-A, but other interesting bits as well...

I'm Jim.

James - how did the Naim clones sound? I've been somewhat interested in that for some time.

I need to take some photos of my current Valve linestage project, a John Broskie "Aikido". It's coming along nicely.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    James - how did the Naim clones sound? I've been somewhat interested in that for some time.

I need to take some photos of my current Valve linestage project, a John Broskie "Aikido". It's coming along nicely.
    Sorry, only just spotted this ! In completely stock form using only components included with the PCB's it sounded okay but really nothing to write home about... Did have very groovy bass though.

Consequently I substituted many of the components [ceramic caps for polystyrene, electrolytic caps for tantalum, BC transistors for ZTX etc] essentially by the time I finished I had replicated what Naim used on their boards with great improvements in sound quality. The groovy bass was still present but with added refinement & all round quality which was previously missing.

In a nutshell I would say the standard boards sound like a PA amp but when fitted with Naim spec parts they really come close the real thing. I would highly recommend them If you wanted a list of all the necessary parts to make it a proper Naim clone I could rummage through my notes... Let me know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123