+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nagoka 500...some impressions

I'm peter.

Default Nagoka 500...some impressions

Having bought an, effectively, new Nagoka 500 from a fellow forum enthusiast, I thought I would offer some impressions, after a couple of days of use. I'm a bit wary, because so much depends on equipment, room, and, above all, personal taste. I came to the Nagoka an 'innocent' as I have never owned, or heard, one before. But I've been around long enough to have extensive knowledge of stuff like Vdh and koetsu, and Benz; Grado too and , recently the Shure 97ex. mainly used on SME decks with 12 inch arms. But not exclusively. Anyway, on with the show....
    Let's take a reference position, at one point, the Shure 97ex; £70, warm, relaxed, good tonally but a little 'laid back' for many enthusiasts. At the other extreme, the Koetsu Urush, mine a recent one with few hours. This is the opposite of the Shure, in cost (£4000), in tonal balance (far more up front and vivid) and in a forward, driven, quality. Reviewers hate comparing things which have very different costs, but I think, why not?
    Anyway, the Nagoka sits neatly in the middle (how convenient, but I think it does). My first impression was of a certain ''calmness''. This is good, very good, because it indicates that the frequency range is pretty flat, and distortion nice and low. There was also a pleasant 'creaminess' to the sound (through an Arourasound 'Vida' solid state phonostage and, as a contrast, a Croft Riaa valve unit.) The Nagoka managed this while still being clear, detailed and with a big, big, soundstage. On my 12inch arm (14gms effective mass) bass was well-controlled and deep, with a pronounced three-dimensional quality. Overall, the 500 pulled-off the trick of seeming 'unmechanical' and just got out of the way. it is not a cartridge to draw attention to itself.
    So, worth the money? Well, I would say so. Assuming you are not looking for 'fireworks' or a bright, aggressive, sound. it is a mature, sophisticated little unit. I think it will be staying in my system. However, as always , only you can tell it if it is right for you, by hearing one. which, sadly, is not easy The whole cartridge thing is very problematic really. But the Nagoka is a class act.

I'm Charlie.

Thanks for the excellent review. I've always been a fan of the Nagaokas. I had a MP11 (I think) back in the late 70s. We used to sell them in Canterbury Hi-Fi, when I worked there 30 + years ago. Really balanced sound, excellent trackers and very much unsung.

I'm Martin.

Pretty much agrees with my own impressions. It is a good all-rounder with a little extra something to it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Spartacus.

Thanks for this Peter. I recently bought a brand new MP-500 and will report in a couple of weeks once I have managed to collect and install this. Almost feels like I'm following your lead, having previously been inspired to finally install my M97xE, though I have no immediate plans for an Urushi. I agree that the Shure may sound laidback but only in terms of a lack of forwardness and not bass drive and propulsion.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm peter.

Yes, agreed. I have a lot of time for the Shure. It could be seen as an 'anti hi fi' cartridge in that it seems to concentrated on the music, not 'detail' for its own sake. It will be interesting to hear your views on the Nagoka.

I'm Steve.

Hi Peter
    Glad you like it, I only played two sides with it so never had enough time to fully evaluate it. But the moment I put the Denon dl110 back on the TT I realised how good the MP500 was.

+ Reply to Thread