+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classical music for people that (think they) don't like classical music

I'm David.

thats a good enough answer for me i have been on the linn site in a bid to make use of the ability of my majik ds but didnt knoiw where to start

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Marchant View Post
    If you mean better than CD quality, unfortunately there's very little available. The Linn Records site includes not only their own often excellent records in 'studio master' quality, but also they're trying out running other labels' stuff, where presumably the other labels don't want to get into the technical hassle of offering the service. There's an excellent Mahler 4 on there conducted by Ivan Fischer, for example.

Gimell Records do it, too, but their repertoire is exclusively ancient music which you might a bit hard going. Try the Allegri Miserere for starters. Should be stunning!

Having heard a number of demos of downloaded files of different specs of the same recording (including at Linn in Glasgow) I am saddened by how little of 'studio master' quality is available: the best is amazing. 'Comfort ye' from Linn's recording of Handel's Messiah is breathtaking at SM quality level.

I'm Gints.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    Can anyone recomend anywhere that i could download any of this music in as higher resolution as possible?
    there you can get couple samples http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    I really appreciate seeing this thread about classical - thank you.
    I aim to please

I've also recently heard some of Arvo Part's work and realise I need to find out more ...
    Try these

(you will be redirected to the YT site to play the following from there)

This is a very good performance
    Last edited by Jeremy Marchant; 03-08-2009 at 20:50.

Thumbs up Re; Arvo Part and recommendations

Jeremy,

Thanks very much for posting the three Arvo Part links, I appreciate it.
    I enjoyed the first two pieces - especially Fratres. I will be adding them to my "to buy" list for the future.

I'm afraid the last piece wasn't to my taste; I struggle to listen to Choral music.

I've placed an order for the 20th Century Masterpieces as recommended - that's incredibly good value, and there were some things on there that even I was able to recognise. I also ran the listing by my Mum, who's more of an opera fan, but knows her classical fairly well. It got her full approval. When she read through the list, there were a lot of "ooh,ahh,wonderful, beautiful..." exclamations. Hopefully this is not just because she'll be looking forward to borrowing it from me

Thanks for educating a Philistine!

Simon

5. Default

I struggle to listen to Choral music.
    Well, that's just a belief! Were you to get a decent recording (rather than listening to it on a pc) you would find it easier to hear the performance as being by a group of individuals, rather than a faceless mass. That said there are whole genres I struggle with - starting with opera - so it is each to their own taste.

I've placed an order for the 20th Century Masterpieces as recommended - that's incredibly good value...
    Looking at it again, it is incredibly good value. Every CD seems to be 75 mins or so. The selection of music is very balanced - not just populist stuff, without being gratuitously obscure. The only obvious omission is Stockhausen. It's a great idea to run the pieces chronologically; the performances are often great ones...
    I was going to pick out half a dozen plums, but they're all plums! So, I'll make a few comments.
    If you like Part, you may well like Tavener (1988).
    Don't give up on the Berg violin concerto, 'To the memory of an angel' (1935) - it's a masterpiece. Or the Henze (1979) or Ades (1997).
    Prepare to be terrified by the Penderecki (1960) and awestruck by the Messiaen (1964).

I'm Dan.

I remember listening to Penderecki when I was a kid, and you're right, it DID bloody terrify me.
    Learned to like it now though.... Cello concertos are a must.

I'm Barry.

Hello,

Love this thread. For those frustrated/unsure re: their classical music ventures I suggest an experience like the following:

1) Late at night, when it's quiet, turn the lights down and put on a copy of Neville Marriner conducting the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields performing Copland's 'Quiet City' (Argo ZRG 548), close your eyes and imagine...
    2) Next, put on Adrian Boult conducting Gerald Finzi's 'New Years Music' on Lyrita.
    3) Lastly, put on an old copy on Angel/EMI of Walter Gieseking (piano) performing Debussy's 'Arabesque'.

-This should do it. And, youi'll get a good night's sleep.

Best,
    Barry

I'm Barry.

Hello,

Sorry, I seem to have killed this thread. There's gotta be some good recommendations out there for classical music for people who are open to it, but don't know where to start? Sometimes it'll depend on a radio host - you like this program not that, or you like these 3 composers but not the other 20 you hear. Any ideas?

Best,
    Barry

I'm Confused.

Hi Barry,
    I wouldn't worry about killing the thread - IIRC it's been a slow moving item from it's early days. Sooner or later someone will come along and add something. I think the whole subject of classical music has a bit of an elitist/snobbish reputation so newcomers to classical music tend to be wary of posting their thoughts on the subject - just my thoughts .
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

2 years, 2 months and 10 days between post #26 and post #27 is not exactly a quick turnover in replies.

I wouldn't begin to entertain the thought that you had killed the thread Barry.
    It had already fizzled out
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast