+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Thread Delay. (Feedback, NOT Complaint)

I'm Confused.

Smile Forum Thread Delay. (Feedback, NOT Complaint)

Hi to all involved,
    You are probably already well aware but just in case you're not: -
    I have my forum profile set to e-mail me when any threads that I have contributed to are updated. I have noticed that, after my e-mail system advises me that a thread has been updated, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes for the updated thread to actually appear on the forum - curious, at least for me.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Confused.

Question

Hello, is there anyone out there?
    This is still happening - can anyone tell me why - just curious.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

well i didnt know that was possible, iragardless of delay
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Nick.

I must admit I've not done any tests or examined this much. My experience is that posts appear on the forum immediately they are made, and so I'm not sure how the email notifications could occur any earlier than this. I'd have thought that the opposite would be true, in that the system will submit email notifications into a queue for sending that may not be actioned in real time, but once every few minutes.

I'll turn on the email notifications for myself for a while, see what's happening, and report back...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I'd have thought that the opposite would be true, in that the system will submit email notifications into a queue for sending that may not be actioned in real time, but once every few minutes.

I'll turn on the email notifications for myself for a while, see what's happening, and report back...
    Hi Nick,
    I think I've solved the mystery. I'm not very technical so I'll try and explain in my own words. It appears that once a member hits the Submit Message button the post goes into a sort of 'pigeon hole' for approval by the censor/arbiter. This action appears to trigger the automatic e-mail notification that tells the recipient and thread subscribers that there is a posting of interest to them. If the censor/arbiter approves the post the system moves the post onto the forum, but if the censor/arbiter is not happy with the post it is deleted at that point, so the intended recipient gets the e-mail notification but doesn't ever see the intended post. The time delay is to enable the censor/arbiter to do his job.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

You are not under such moderation. Your posts will appear immediately you hit send.

I'm Confused.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    You are not under such moderation. Your posts will appear immediately you hit send.
    Sincerely Steve, I do not doubt your integrity in posting this for one moment but .....
    How do you explain me getting an e-mail notification about a post which never subsequently appeared (example available) and frequent ocassions when, having received e-mail notification of a posting, more or less immediate hitting of the forum New Posts button shows no such post, though they (usually ) do appear a short while later?
    I am genuinely interested in this phenomenon if it does not involve human action.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

I've got no idea what's happening, as I'm not the technical boffin here, but what I can categorically guarantee is that you are *not* being moderated.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Confused.

Hi Marco,
    In response I would refer you to my response to Steve's similar posting, word for word in it's entirety - no aspersions being cast about your sincerity.
    Just in case there is any doubts, confusion or misunderstanding, I am not inferring that my posts are being moderated since our recent little spats - the delay has been noticeable for much much longer than that - see my original post on this thread.
    Cheers,
    PS
    I've just noticed the heading of this section: -
    Critics Corner Feedback and suggestions from our valued members.
    Does this mean that feedback and suggestions from non-valued members are not invited? .
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm Nick.

Dave - I'd also like to assure you that your posts are automatic, just like everyone elses. We do not 'approve' posts before they appear on the forum.

I've not had the time recently to monitor in detail the situation you describe for myself, by setting my own account to subscribe to all threads. I very much think it's down to the fact that system resources are rationed to perform certain activities in less than real time.

I do know that if you perform the same search multiple times within a short time of each other, the system refers to a cache (or short-term memory) of the last similar search. Try pressing 'New Posts' repeatedly, and watch the address in your browser window. This will end with something like searchid=225422. The searchid number is an incremental number assigned to each new distinct database query. Repeatedly clicking 'New Posts' does not automatically increment the searchid number meaning the system is repeating the same search to identify 'New Posts'. After a period of time, or a backend update, it will change the search (the searchid number will then change) and a proper 'new' result will be returned. This behaviour is designed to limit the impact on the server processor of multiple searches very close together.

This could well be causing the delay in seeing New Posts on the forum that you've seen.

I hope that this helps.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast