+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greetings to one and all

I'm Kee.

Dave

Not been to “Spice Queen”. But there was a “Spice and Wine” with its excellent Northern Indian cuisines. I ate there a couple of times.

Race Course Road, spilling into its larger enclave of what is popularly known as “Little India”, is now home to many fine non-Indian restaurants and watering holes as well. And the Indian restaurants have gotten a lot better. You're unlikely to eat at the same place twice.

Street food, or more accurately, hawker fare, were great up to the mid 80s. Much of the authenticity is gone and a newer generation, coping with increasing costs and pressures in rapidly urbanised Singapore, has to abandon the ways of old and trim the corners. Ain't the same thing no more.

There are pockets of great hawker fare still in food centres dotted all over the island. But the inexorable heat and humidity, noise and environment pollution take out all the pleasure of dining at such. I'd rather take you and Dave C elsewhere and we would have no less to write home about.

Newton Circus has a towering reputation – that for fleecing tourists. Never go there unaccompanied by a local. And whatever is peddled there hardly represents the best of its kind. Avoid and ignore it totally. Sorry, Dave C.
    Kee

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by TKK View Post
    Dave
    Street food, or more accurately, hawker fare, were great up to the mid 80s. Much of the authenticity is gone and a newer generation, coping with increasing costs and pressures in rapidly urbanised Singapore, has to abandon the ways of old and trim the corners. Ain't the same thing no more.

There are pockets of great hawker fare still in food centres dotted all over the island. But the inexorable heat and humidity, noise and environment pollution take out all the pleasure of dining at such. I'd rather take you and Dave C elsewhere and we would have no less to write home about.

Newton Circus has a towering reputation – that for fleecing tourists. Never go there unaccompanied by a local. And whatever is peddled there hardly represents the best of its kind. Avoid and ignore it totally. Sorry, Dave C.
    Hi Kee, .
    First, no need to aplogise - it's called progress I believe . I was there when the Boogie Street 'he-she's' decided to withdraw and open up 'Waxen Dolls', and when they 'redeveoped' (i.e. ruined) Chinatown, and before and after Raffles Hotel was 'developed' (i.e. became unrecognisable from what it was), all in the name of progress. My daughter actually celebrated her 15th birhday by having tea in the original Tiffin Room and drinking a Singapore Sling in the original Long Bar. We visited Tioman several times pre, but only once post, the golf club development. They ruined an absolutely pristine coral reef just off the beach there which was ideal for snorkelling. Once saw a turtle absolutely decimate a jelly fish on that reef, with smaller and smaller reef fish picking up the 'crumbs' as they fell deeper and deeper - magic moments!
    With regards to eating street food at Newton Circus and other such places, I absolutely agree with you. I was there mainly in '81 and '83 and again briefly in '91 but each time I went to such places I was always with 2 or 3 local Chinese friends - again, magic moments.
    We were once walking over a river bridge near the old 'go-downs' (?) when we saw, just under the bridge and on the dockside a 'Wyang' (hope I've spelled that right). The performers were putting on their very beautiful and colourful make-up on a raised platform behind and above the stage but almost on a level with the bridge. Fortunately I had my camera with me and one of my friends leaned over and asked the performers for permission for me to take their pictures as they were applying the make -up, which was willingly granted. Next moment I was invited to join them downstairs back stage and take whatever pictures I wanted. At one point they almost pushed me onto the stage in their determination that I should et the picture that I wanted.
    The only times we ate locally without locals with us was at Pongol Point after spending Saturday water skiing - the chilli crab washed down with lots of local beer, with chickens running around under the table, still makes me salivate at the thought of it.
    Enough reminisences for now.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123