+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Plasma Tweeter

I'm Stephen.

Default The Plasma Tweeter

I remember reading an article about this type of tweeter by Keith Howard in Hi Fi Answers years ago. I'd totally forgot about it however until I came across a listing on eBay for an inductor for a diy design.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    I remember reading an article about this type of tweeter by Keith Howard in Hi Fi Answers years ago. I'd totally forgot about it however until I came across a listing on eBay for an inductor for a diy design.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.
    Many years ago Fane made the Ionfane plasma tweeter, and Bowers & Wilkins used one (though I'm not sure if it was made for them by Fane) in their P1 speaker.

Fane Ionfane tweeter

In having virtually no mass, plasma tweeters had virtually instant response and hence an attack and transient performance that not even electrostatic designs could achieve.

Sadly the down side to this was the generation of poisonous ozone, so I would imagine that such designs are discouraged, if not outlawed, by today's Health & Safety regulations.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-08-2014 at 20:57. Reason: image added
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

Lansche Audio make plasma tweeters still:

http://www.lansche-audio.de
    Account Deleted

I'm Stephen.

Thanks for the link.

The German diy site I found mentions the ozone production, but states that it is very small and suggests opening a window. It also mentions the efficiency is on the low side at about 82 dB.

I'm Deleted.

Default The Plasma Tweeter

The Lansche tweeters are entirely encased so there is no ozone produced - or at least none is allowed to escape. Ozone is classed as being extremely toxic so the solution of opening a window isn't a viable suggestion for actual manufacturers.
    Account Deleted

I'm Keith.

The LANSCHE implementation was good, no ozone and a great sounding treble, can't say it was better than the TAD703 though,and they need to be regularly serviced.
    Theire is a review in Stereophile.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread