+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another 1200 being modded

I'm Jim.

Fantastic work, glad to see your progress!

Looking forward to more photos.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andy.

All finished (for now) and put back together.

Bearing has been lubricated and I have placed some rubber under the bearing to dampen it a little.
    More ferrite than I care to shake a stick at!

I have also fitted the new arm from J7 that has been re-wired with cardas cable.

I'm Andy.

OK,,

So far so good, everything sounding pretty excellent.

I did try and adjust the VTA to find that im right as low as I can go, but would like to go a little further.
    Currently using an Achromat on the standard platter and have a goldring 1006 on the techy arm, in a techy headshell, this seems a little odd as it is no thicker than the original felt mat.

I have had a look and cant see anything getting in the way underneath.

Any ideas

A

I'm Jim.

Place a thin record or perhaps some thick paper under the one you are playing and see if that change in overall SRA is actually going to make a difference in the proper direction...

?
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andy.

Great idea Jim,
    Thanks

80gsm paper is 0.1mm very usefull for accurate spacers!

A

I'm Spartacus.

Alternatively you could disassemble and reassemble the tonearm so that it sits lower to begin with. Plenty of instructions online if not here.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Andy.

Having had a closer look I think that the arm is level, it was where I placed my spirit level that was the issue! the headshell has a slight slope on it and I hadn't noticed!

Got a scale from ebay and have set the weight now as well, my guess was way off! and of course the sound is much better now!!

No more tweeks for a while, spending too much on vinyl.

A

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Andy View Post

No more tweeks for a while, spending too much on vinyl.

A
    Andy no-one has mentioned it up till now and I don't know why but the Technics headshell is not up to much and can be improved on for not a lot of money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andy.

bugger, go on then!

reccomendations??
    currently using a Goldring 1006, may upgrade to a Ortophon blue at some point, possibly!

A

I'm Martin.

I swapped mine for the Sumiko:

http://www.turntableworld.co.uk/depa...dge-leads-p686

And it is clearly better with all of my cartridges, confirmed by swapping back to the stock shell for comparison. BUT the Sumiko is quite heavy so you will need to use the additional counterweight to balance the arm. If you are happy to spend a little more then you could go for one of the lighter magnesium or carbon fibre shells available which would possibly be better - something I intend to try but have not got round to. This one I have my eye on but is at the other end of the scale from the Sumiko, price wise:

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/a...408650412.html
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast