+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: London Decca Super Gold on modified 1210M5G?

I'm Chris.

Maybe I´m better off sticking with my Denon DL-103R

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm John.

I'm a fairly recent convert.
    Decca Blue with original conical stylus, checked over and "podded" by John Wright. Looks cool. Like a stealth bomber.
    Best vinyl sound I have ever heard by a country mile.
    Arm matching and alignment critical. Once that is sorted out, performs wonderfully on all types of music.
    In the 6 months or so since I've had it I've bought more records than in any other 6 month period of my life, and the CD player has never been switched on.

I'm Josie.

I'd love to try one... I keep saying this, I know... but one day.

And yes, I would start with the blue too. I think Glenn Croft uses a blue... could be wrong though.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    I'm a fairly recent convert.
    Decca Blue with original conical stylus, checked over and "podded" by John Wright. Looks cool. Like a stealth bomber.
    Best vinyl sound I have ever heard by a country mile.
    Arm matching and alignment critical. Once that is sorted out, performs wonderfully on all types of music.
    In the 6 months or so since I've had it I've bought more records than in any other 6 month period of my life, and the CD player has never been switched on.
    Hi John, I had a Decca Blue some years back which I used with a 301/Croft Micro/Leak Stereo 20 and I must admit it was a superb sound. Once heard never forgotten. Only problem was setting them up and stopping the Tin can from vibrating, I had a lump of Blue tac on mine

Devastating speed and sound. Will be returning to one sometime in the near future. Cant wait to hear what it will sound like on my VPI with the new Croft amps.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My first Decca was a Blue in totally stock flexi-bracket form (back in the mid 70's, no tweaks for it) and I used it in my much missed Dual 1229. A bit 'twangy' up top, but no issues with tracking at all and a baptism of fire into the joys of Decca ownership. A properly tamed Decca *should* be capable of being used alongside a good CD player, NOT instead of although I know exactly what you're saying. Vinyl's cheap on the whole and a good working Decca does seem to get the very best out of this medium IMO

I wanted 'my' Quad 33/303 back from boxed exile. I'm now being tempted to get the TD125 back instead and re-fit the R200/Decca to it. Lovely times.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

I have sought info on so many cartridges now, but I still think the most exciting and right cartridge for me will be the Decca Super Gold w/ DeccaPod. Expensive yes, but it seems it has the sound I crave for! I want prat, fun and toe tapping vinyl play with the best midrange

I have read that the Jelco 750D will be a good match. I'm going to buy the IsoKinetik Silver Melody SM750, that is a better arm than the standard 750D. But what about headshell? Do I use the standard headshell or others? I see some use this one

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...nium-Headshell

And what about cleaning the stylus? I just bought an Onzow Zerodust that to a fantastic job of cleaning my DL-103R. The diamond is super clean. Can I use the Onzow on the Decca if I'm careful?

I might buy from Divine Audio, that also do service and retip on the Decca. It's important for me that I buy from someone that has the knowledge and service about what they sell. Anyone know them?

Any help with these questions would be great

I'm Chris.

Even if this is not the best youtube clip, I can just hear how the Decca signature shines and can only imagine how it will sound in real...
    http://youtu.be/Qdji6_H14aQ

I'm Chris.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi John, I had a Decca Blue some years back which I used with a 301/Croft Micro/Leak Stereo 20 and I must admit it was a superb sound. Once heard never forgotten. Only problem was setting them up and stopping the Tin can from vibrating, I had a lump of Blue tac on mine.
    Just like me. My Blue was in a fluid damped Decca International arm on a TD150. My first properly serious deck as it goes. The Decca Blue was occasionally swapped over for an ADC 10E Mk.IV, which was also superb (still got a couple). I also used the Blutak blob on top of the Decca.

Having had experience of the DL-103, Deccas and currently ZYXs, I'll be sticking with ZYX MCs. As mentioned they have speed, they also have tremendous transparency and detail, fine bass and a huge ambience.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I'd love to try one... I keep saying this, I know... but one day.

And yes, I would start with the blue too. I think Glenn Croft uses a blue... could be wrong though.
    Hi Joe,

I have sorted the valves I think - got some NOS Teslas on the way

Glenn did use a Decca Blue - he recommended I try one 30 years ago when I was buying hifi at Warstones HIFI in wolverhampton.

He also recommended the rest of the system I used way back then which consisted of a Croft Micro (Glenns original £125 model), modified Leak Stereo 20 (Glenns modification) and a Garrard 301. This I used with the speakers I still have now (Spendor SP2 MK1)

That was a great system but unfortunately I sold the lot and went into CD - what a mistake!

I am now slowly creeping back to a similar system and intend to get another Decca cartridge but not sure which one yet although I know where there is a beauty I can lay my hands on
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast