+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: NEBO 4 (North East Bake Off)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Hi Steve

The Windmill is a great venue with food drink and accomodation on site, also it's located on a major trunk road so easy to get to and find, it would get my vote for future events.

The adjoining rooms kind of work, but wow, was it hot. This may not be such a problem as outside temperatures are cooling now but..........

Have you thought about using the larger function room below these two rooms, it would be cooler and have better accoustics as the ceiling is higher and it has a solid floor. The low ceilings in the rooms upstairs (less than the average house) are not ideal and the suspended floor proved a problem in one room particularly, with vinyl replay suffering baddly with foot fall, no matter how carefully YOU tried to walk past .

My main reason for prefering the ground floor room is that you don't have to navigate the narrow stairs with big speakers, delicate turntables (concrete speaker plinths) etc. I turned up with a speaker on a sack truck and the stairs had me beat. In the ground floor room you could set up 2 systems on opposite walls and have the seats back to back between them, the room is big enough. You could argue that it is bigger than the average home listening room so things might not sound comparable, but I think this is a minor draw back compared with the positive points, oh and its closer to the bar .

Some food for thought, what do other folks think?

edit: I'll second the early start.
    Might be good to start a new thread for NEBO5 even at this early stage?
    This is what we do at Owston, there is one large room that everyone sets up in. Works well, we just take turns to have a go.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

Hi alia. Looking forwrd to meeting you at Owston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    This is what we do at Owston, there is one large room that everyone sets up in. Works well, we just take turns to have a go.

I'm Rich.

Hi Steve,

I'm generally ok with the arrangements and think the big room may be an idea if the event continues to grow in numbers. I would be concerned though about some of the smaller systems becoming swamped by the room so it may be good to have the upstairs space also, depending on numbers and affordability of course.

Re the suspended floor upstairs I think this was mainly a problem with the large rack which was put in the room as I'm not aware of it being an issue in the past with the smaller cabinets.

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm mick.

Could give a thought to making it a two day event .Might make it worthwhile for people who have to travel from further afield.Also, even though the last event was some 8 hours,it was still a rush to allow everyone to show their gear and the music they had brought [the 2 Geordie lads with their cd player]Sometimes it is the music ,not just the gear that people really enjoy[I could have listened to Alan's compilation tape on his r2r, and Jay's Leak stereo20 just played music as I thought it should be] Just an idea but ,we all have cd's etc that we no longer listen to,so we could bring them along and let whoever wants them have them or make a small donation [50p or £1 each] to go to the hiring of the venue or some agreed upon charity
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Hi alia. Looking forwrd to meeting you at Owston.
    Likewise Steve, should be a good do. Looking forward to the R to R!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

My worry about staging it over two days Mik is the extra expense and the risk of poor attendance on the second day. I am in negotiation now with the venue to start earlier in the day. I have a couple of idea's too that i have beeb thinking about. I think we will be looking at sometime in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    Could give a thought to making it a two day event .Might make it worthwhile for people who have to travel from further afield.Also, even though the last event was some 8 hours,it was still a rush to allow everyone to show their gear and the music they had brought [the 2 Geordie lads with their cd player]Sometimes it is the music ,not just the gear that people really enjoy[I could have listened to Alan's compilation tape on his r2r, and Jay's Leak stereo20 just played music as I thought it should be] Just an idea but ,we all have cd's etc that we no longer listen to,so we could bring them along and let whoever wants them have them or make a small donation [50p or £1 each] to go to the hiring of the venue or some agreed upon charity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011