+ Reply to Thread
Page 732 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 232632682722730731732733734742782832 ... LastLast
Results 7,311 to 7,320 of 10962

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Andrew.

Although, giving a it a bit more study I find actually sat here listening that now some sounds are behind and some in front of the baffle.

I'm Andrew.

Ahh. In that case perhaps I misinterpreted what was being stated. I was thinking of the illusory depth of the sound source. Which obviously changes from recording to recording. Thanks Geoff.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Although, giving a it a bit more study I find actually sat here listening that now some sounds are behind and some in front of the baffle.
    I don't know if you use Tannoys Andrew, but good ones definitely do portray image depth very well. If the acoustic in a recording has sounds 'to the back of the stage', they will sound like that and in some cases seemingly totally away from the speaker too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

No l have Goodmans Magisters. I have never had Tannoys. I think that the issue I have is that I find it difficult to 'feel' the sound source going back beyond the wall behind the speakers. It's an almost psychological barrier. Perhaps easier in the dark! Or with my eyes shut.

I'm Geoff.

Ha. I know the Magisters. They are good fun in a big beefy way. Not the greatest at imaging though. A good pair are well worth hanging onto.

There's a good dodge with those. Pick up a pair of Celestion HF1300 tweeters, preferably 16 ohm. Wire them in parallel to the main speaker terminals with a capacitor of around 2uF in series and sit them one on top of each the main speaker cabinets, pointing upwards. It may seem unlikely, but it adds huge ambience and acoustic. It works with the Magnums too. If the effect is too pronounced, halve the capacitor value.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the dodge Geoff, although I have to say they are already far from original. Having thought about the original statement I was struggling to make with regard to depth in the image. I think an analogy with film or television might be apt. If you watch a film of a road going into the distance, you are aware that you are looking at maybe many miles of depth in the image, but also aware at the same time that you are looking at a screen just a few feet away. Both 'realities' co- exist. I think that is what happens with sound when I sit in front of my speakers. There is depth, but at the same time I know where the sound is coming from. I have not heard huge amounts of speakers, but certainly none that just disappear.

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by Xapito View Post
    OMG... someone local HURRY - No bids, £80 buy now
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-DM-70S...AAAOSwAANY7NOa
    so... it turns out these are sony ss7000. they are in pretty good nick, but I am going to open them up on the weekend to see what the surrounds and es panels are like.

the mrs has flat-out played the vito card...

Bigman80 Guest

Picked this up for £20 today on fleabay. No idea if its good or bad but nothing ventured, nothing gained

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Thanks for the dodge Geoff, although I have to say they are already far from original. Having thought about the original statement I was struggling to make with regard to depth in the image. I think an analogy with film or television might be apt. If you watch a film of a road going into the distance, you are aware that you are looking at maybe many miles of depth in the image, but also aware at the same time that you are looking at a screen just a few feet away. Both 'realities' co- exist. I think that is what happens with sound when I sit in front of my speakers. There is depth, but at the same time I know where the sound is coming from. I have not heard huge amounts of speakers, but certainly none that just disappear.
    That's what I said until I heard some Martin Logan Electrostatics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I don't get this. Why would a single blank cassette tape be worth £160? Crazy!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-RAR-D...0AAOSw03lY5AA3

+ Reply to Thread