+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Wharfedale E90 for £350 BIN - always fancied a go on these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale...3D251594639293
    They sound like a slightly cruder JBL of the same vintage.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm sorted.

Just in case anybody needs a good sized piece of granite to put under something -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3610091268...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm Paul.

It's times like this that I regret being skint. Form an orderly queue for the Sony TTS-8000. You can thank me later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TTS-8...item2ed568d380

I'm Geoff.

Neat gizmo (record clamp) for not too much money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3309206357...84.m1423.l2649

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They sound like a slightly cruder JBL of the same vintage.
    I really liked the E70's... One of the best sounds I've had in my room for rock/pop. Regardless of what anyone says, if thats your music taste you'll struggle to do better for the money IMO.

Well made too... Easy to drive, solid cabinets, really chunky inductors & film bypass caps in the crossover, cast driver frames, Foster tweeters etc etc.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    I really liked the E70's... One of the best sounds I've had in my room for rock/pop. Regardless of what anyone says, if thats your music taste you'll struggle to do better for the money IMO.

Well made too... Easy to drive, solid cabinets, really chunky inductors & film bypass caps in the crossover, cast driver frames, Foster tweeters etc etc.
    I'm not knocking them. They were a bit of a bargain at the time, high sensitivity and capable of seriously loud output, but they were a bit fragile. I've come across a few pairs with blown drivers. Probably from 'party' use. They were good for that, but there are limits as to how long you can pump out around 110db without coils getting a bit hot. I actually blew one of the ten inch drivers myself when trying it out for a home build project. I suspect it may have been sub-standard, as I wasn't putting silly power through.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    It's times like this that I regret being skint. Form an orderly queue for the Sony TTS-8000. You can thank me later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TTS-8...item2ed568d380
    Just as a side note, the issue with the strobe lamp on this unit sounds like the same as I had with my own TTS-8000. The issue was the wire links that join the two sides of the double sided control PCB deciding to stop conducting after 30 years! A whizz round with the soldering iron fixed this.

Fabulous turntable. Come on someone, grab it - get some "Resinamic Sound" in your life!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not knocking them. They were a bit of a bargain at the time, high sensitivity and capable of seriously loud output, but they were a bit fragile. I've come across a few pairs with blown drivers. Probably from 'party' use. They were good for that, but there are limits as to how long you can pump out around 110db without coils getting a bit hot. I actually blew one of the ten inch drivers myself when trying it out for a home build project. I suspect it may have been sub-standard, as I wasn't putting silly power through.
    Ah, fair enough. I couldn't possibly comment being a sub 80dB listener ... Well, 99% of the time.

I'm James.

+ Reply to Thread