+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A very indepth analysis of the Shure M44-7 v M55E cartridges

I'm Andrew.

Default A very indepth analysis of the Shure M44-7 v M55E cartridges

Part 1 - Shure Thing....

Spurred on by Jimbo of these hallowed grounds I thought I'd do some messing about with some of my old Shure Carts.

Just a few lines about how things are going to pan out over the next few days/weeks. I'm in the process of evaluating two ancient Shure Carts the M55E and the M44-7. Previously I have had and said goodbye to many Shure Carts, these being the SC35C + JICO/S stylus, the V15 mk3 with VNH35H (is this correct?) stylus, M75ED. I have had the USA and Mexican version of the M55E, supposedly the USA version is superior, this is the version I will be using during testing but I can't claim to have noticed any difference when doing extended listening tests. I did intend doing this experiment with a SME 3009 as I thought that this would be an excellent match for the Shure Carts. Fate, however seems to have intervened and meant that it would be very difficult to set the Shure's up with the 3009 in it's current configuartion and it took me an age to get the 3009 working with my Ortofon MONO SPU. I did have a solution sitting less than 24" away, this came in the form of a Garrard 401 and SME V-12 configuration. The Garrard 401 was a complete nuts and bolts restoration done by myself and then later checked over by Dr. Martin Bastin, I asked Dr. Bastin to mount the 401 in one of his "Max Planck" plinths. A high quality massive birch ply which decouples the motor. The 401 has had little use over the years and has been mainly over shadowed by the Garrard 301, another nuts and bolts restoration that I did over 10 years ago. The 401 needs some setting up but today I made sure that the 401 was sitting level in all planes, I shall be fettling cartridge setup tomorrow.

I partnered the 401 years ago with a SME V-12 which at the time wasn't cheap, fast forward to 2023 and they now go for double what I paid and that's if you can find one, used examples in very good condition has been changing hands for £7K+ (yeah that's what I thought). Tonearm cable happens to be the very top end Yannis Tome cable which again I have on all my arms. I have used the Korf Compliance Calculator korfaudio.com/calculator and checked to see if the old Shure carts would be a decent match for the SME V-12, turns out they should do fine. The first variables that I will be checking are cartridge loading and valve type. Traditionally I have always used a EAR 834P clone which Alan (Fire bottle) modded and built for me a few years ago. The EAR clone had the benefit of cartridge loading installed. I also own the late Len Gregory's Croft phonostage which is excellent but has no cartridge loading capabilities. So, an inability to fine tune these old Shure Carts should prove interesting when assessing them. Another interesting aspect is the valve type, the EAR uses vintage Mullard ECC83 8157's variant. The Croft uses my all time favourite 6SL7 valve the RCA 5691, I've compared 13 different types of 6SL7 and found these to be the best. So, I have to make the tough decision of Croft v EAR, ECC83 8157 v 6SL7 5691 variants. The M44-7 is the first to be put through it's paces. I already have history with the M55E and JICO stylii and don't want to bias findings before they have already started.

I did do an indepth analysis of the M55E + JICO SAS/S stylii v the Ortofon 2MB several years ago. I only had EAR clone phonostage back then and found that the M55E+JICO combo came within microns of upstaging the 2MB, ultimately the 2MB had better detail and resoultion. I did have two other MM phonostages back then, the MM phonostage which is an optional extra in my ATC SCA2 pre-amp and the other being the built in MM phonostage in my Radford SC25 pre-amp (I still own both of these). The Radford used the same M8157's but did nothing for me. The ATC just sounded sterile and lifeless. No a few stats, here are the stats for the Shure M55E

Tracking Force: 0.75 to 1.5 grams
    Frequency Response: 20 to 20,000 Hz
    Output Voltage: 6.2mV per channel at 5 cm/sec peak recorded velocity
    Channel Separation: greater than 22dB at 1,000 Hz
    Trackability at 1 gram force: 12 cm/sec at 400 Hz
    Effective Stylus Tip Mass: 1.2 milligrams
    Tip Radius: 0.2 x 0.7 mils
    Inductance: 720 millihenries
    DC Resistance: 630 ohms

Dynamic Compliance 25
    Recommended load capacitance: 400-500pF

Weight: 6.5 grams

Here are the stats for the Shure M44-7

Output voltage: 9,5mV bei 1kHz, 5cm/sec.
    Amplifier-connection: Phono MM
    Frequency range: 20-20.000Hz
    Material: diamond, bonded
    Stylus type: spherical 0.7 mil
    Tracking force range: 1,5-3,0g
    Tracking force, recommended: 3,0g
    Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
    Recommended load capacitance: 400-500pF

Dynamic compliance 20

Weight: 6,7g

The Shure M55E proved to be a slightly better match running these figures through the Korf Calculator, assuming the Effective mass of the SME V-12 was 11, and the weight of cartridge wires, mounting screws and bolts was around 2.5mg (I do need to verify these). So first blood to the M55E. Stay tuned for more knackers, sorry, I mean indepth analysis of Shure cartridges.

Stay tuned....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would be wary of following Korf's advice: someone who thinks he knows more about the mechanics of cartridge tracking than either that of cartridge or arm manufacturers.

He correctly states that the compliance figure to use in his calculator should be the dynamic compliance measured at around 10Hz, where ideally the arm/cartridge resonance should lie, but does not say what value to use if only the static compliance is quoted. Shure always quoted the static compliance, so you need to halve that figure to obtain the appropriate figure for 10Hz. If you do that then the arm/cartridge resonance for your M55E in the SME V12 will lie within 8 - 12Hz. (I have assumed 0.5g for the cartridge fixings).

Apropos the M55E cartridges made in Mexico, can one tell the difference by appearance? I have two M55Es: one has a brown coloured body, the other is black. I have never compared them back-to-back, but regard claims that the cartridges made in Mexico are inferior as exaggerated, if not completely untrue. It's the sort of myth that audio enthusiasts like to promulgate.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Barry, the M55E still theoretically measures better according to Korf even when halving the compliance as you suggested, so nothing changes with respect to better matching M55E v M44-7. I'll have a better idea of fixing weight tomorrow I intend to do some fine tuning tomorrow. The USA v MEXICO debate is something I'd heard about, I'd have to agree, I hear no difference but I've always used the USA cart so that's what I'll stick with, irrespective of rumour or myth. I don't have the resources of time to prove that one is better than the other and ultimately it's what I hear in my system that matters!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The M44-7 is a brute I feel compared to the M55E which has more finess but maybe you set up might get the best out of it. I wait to see the next round with baited breath.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Output is high on the M44-7 compared to the M55E, I've had the thing on tonight for 3 hours. I'm putting a few hours on the stylus cantilever to try and bed the thing in. I've noticed some distotion already! I will say that the thing is not properly set up so the distortion could just be a by-product of sloppy set up.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

I am sure you have seen this article Andy on the M44-7?

https://www.resistormag.com/features...-known-by-few/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am sure you have seen this article Andy on the M44-7?

https://www.resistormag.com/features...-known-by-few/
    Yep, seen it a while ago but thanks for the heads up!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Part II - Loading

The M44-7 according to Shure likes to see 400-500 pf loading. I'm now glad I'm not using the SME 3009 as I've heard that several people have tried to measure the capacitance of the old tonearm cable with varying readings, sometimes differing markedly from one channel to the other other. I'm glad to say that my cables are a known entity and that the loading capacitance in each channel is pretty much perfectly matched. I have been trying to work out some figures with respects to what my M44-7 is currently "seeing". Here goes :-

Cartridge to Phonostage

Natural capcitance loading of Croft MM stage 100pf
    Cartridge tags & cartridge leads 10pf
    Connector from tonearm to intrinstic tonearm wiring 10pf
    Internal tonearm wiring 15pf (SME source)
    Tonearm connector accepting intrinsic wiring 10pf
    Tonearm connector 5-pin plug 10pf
    Tonearm cable 60pf (Yannis Tome source)
    Tonearm cable to RCA 10pf

TOTAL 225pf

So, I'm missing around 225pf loading. This means i'm not getting the best from the M44-7, so it's looking like the EAR 834P may be a better option for optimal cartridge loading. At least I can make the EAR make the M44-7 see the 450pf. Hmmm anothor conundrum to ponder.

I've spent a little more time on setting the cartridge up tonight using Dr. Feickharts protractor, cartridge tracking force and antiskate are both sitting at 3g, things appear a lot clearer. The deck is still not perfectly level in all planes but I'm not that far away, the bubble in the spirit level doesn't quite sit perfectly central but it's not so far away, I'm hearing great things. I also need to address the speed accuracy of the 401 as it does not have a speed controller like the Garrard 301 that I own and I'm not prepared to mess around rewire everything for this experiment, I'll dig out the timing laser and alter the speed control that way. Usually we can be accurate within +/- 0.01 RPM. Both cartridges stylii are new the M44-7 has a Tonar stylii to the same specs as the original https://www.turntabletrainingwax.com/tonar-n44-7-stylus mine cost £19 delivered, I'm sure you can get cheaper if you shop around. I must confess to not knowing where I purchased the M55E replacement but I do know it's new and zero hours usage. Currently the M44-7 has around 6 hours usage. I'm trying to get 3 hours a day.

Things I could do to further improve this Experiment
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    1. Vertical tracking height for cartridge has not been properly set yet.
    2. Could use Townshend Isolation platform for further improvement of airbourne vibration and such like.
    3. Tonearm needs a very very small amount of tweaking.
    4. Feed the phonostages with a cleaner power supply. Could this produce a bias in that the 401 has a clean supply and the phonostages don't?

Factor Affecting the Absolute Performance of the Shure Carts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. The M55E appears to be a marginally better match for the SME V-12.
    2. The Croft phonostage (if loading capacitance is set at 100pf) lessens the chances of accurately matching old Shure Carts.
    3. I'm compromising the absolute speed accuracy of the 401, I could use a Roadrunner/Eagle PSU combo to match speed to 0.001 RPM rather than
    0.01 RPM accuracy.

Steps Taken to Maximise Performance
    ------------------------------------------
    1. Using Baerweld tracking, setup with respected Dr. Fieckhart protractor
    2. Using a true Reference tonearm which matches both the M44-7 and M55E very well.
    3. Turntable perfectly level in all planes.
    4. Tried to make sure that the 401 is running with a clean power supply, supplied with a PS Audio P10
    5. Motor decoupled from 401 less vibration getting into cartridge
    6. Tried to improve the trackability of the Carts by making sure the vinyl is as flat as possible and then using heavy record clamp and peripheral
    platter ring on vinyl.
    7. Both cartridge stylii are new and I have allowed a 30 hours break-in period for any cantilever stiffness.
    8. Accurately known and matched loading capacitance for left and right channel cartridge channels.
    9. 401 platter damped with a Tenuto platter mat.

I think that's enough for tonight. Maybe some pictures tomorrow.

Stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So the reviewer was impressed by the fact that the Shure M44-7 was used in jukeboxes! Not my idea for recommendation.

The nearest I came to hearing one was in a school chum's father's system which used an M44-5 on a Garrard SP25 (Mk.I) through a Leak Stereo 20 amp feeding a pair of Wharfedale sand-filled baffle speakers. He was a passionate classical music enthusiast, so possibly thought the 5 thou stylus offered more finesse, but maybe could not afford the M44E.

My first 'serious' Shure cartridge was the M55E, after a brief period (less than a year) using an M3D. I chose the M55E because I had just bought an SME 3009 arm and the SME advert showed an M55E fitted in the headshell - so if it was good enough for SME it was good enough for me!

I went up through the Shure range and stopped with the Shure V-15E Mk.III, before changing my alligience to Ortofon, Denon and EMT moving coil designs.
    Last edited by Barry; 27-12-2023 at 07:18. Reason: Grammar
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Always good to get any feedback Barry! I've also had my fair share of Shure Carts, I've always seemed to migrate back to the M55E and I wonder if this (for me) is the apex of great sounding shure carts. I've also been through all the fancy vintage original (or supposed NOS) stylii and always considered the JICO replacements superior. The aim of this experiment is to see if the M44-7 is a better cart than the M55E in my system and that's why I've used supposed like-for-like modern day stylii for the carts and have given them both a 30 hour break in period before real critical listening starts. I've never tried EMT carts but must admit to being a Ortofon fan boy!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast