+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers, speakers ,speakers.

I'm charles.

Default Speakers, speakers ,speakers.

Recently joined this forum which I've found to be the most interesting on the internet.
    My main interest is loudspeakers - why? - I don't know - maybe because with over 40 years of listening to hi-fi, I've found the item which makes the most difference is the speakers. I don't wish to start a debate on this subject, however - I'd much rather talk about speakers and I would like to share some of my experiences with you. In the late 70's I worked in hi-fi retail for 2.5 years and had the opportunity to listen to many, many mostly British speakers and I believe mid 70's to mid 80's were the most interesting for the consumer of speakers. I think what fascinated me most was the plethora of so many smaller manufacturers who sometimes produced better products than the 'big boys' which I felt were KEF, B & W, Celestion and Wharfedale. Furthermore, some were using KEF drive units and sounded 'better' than the equivalent KEF (to my ears, at least!). I say 'better' in inverted commas because it was, at times quite subjective - again fascinating for me. Many of these manufacturers were based in old rented garages, barns etc and employed only a handful of staff yet produced some very fine speakers for the time - the term 'box stuffers' springs to mind. I miss this diversity now - I miss listening to different manufacturers versions of the classic 8" Dalesford Audax soft dome tweeter combo all sounding different.
    Until recently (October 2015) I lived in Norwich - not exactly well known for hi-fi loudspeaker production with the major exception of RAM electronics. A few years ago, I went through the stage of buying, listening to re-selling some older speakers (always at a loss) - I did it for fun and enjoyment not a business and it was brilliant comparing them to other speakers I had heard and owned in the past and present.
    If anyone is interested, I'd like to talk about some of my experiences with speakers over the years. For example, I remember listening to RAM STL4's - not boasting but I bet I'm one of the very few - I'd like to talk about speakers that really stuck in my mind eg Yamaha NS1000's and Celestion SL700SE's etc etc.
    If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    In any case, thanks for a wonderful forum.

I'm Geoff.

You are not alone Charles. There are a few of us who have a thing about speakers. I'm one. I do like playing around with various drive units and have loads of them. Even though I'm really a dedicated Tannoy DC fan.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Deja vu Charles and a good thread. I too have had speakers on my mind for a long time and wanted to start some kind of thread about speakers - It's long over due.
    I dont have vast experience of lots of different speakers but what I do know i know, if that makes sense

Many of the names you mentioned and others had what I'd call a hey day to some degree. By that I mean they all seem to have produced speakers us hifi fanatics regard as 'classics' and good speakers that would grace any decent set up to this day. Add Mission, Tannoy, JBL and others to the KEF, B&W, Celestion and Wharfedale list.

There are so many others to discuss too, like Spendor, Harbeth, PMC, Focal, ATC, Monitor Audio, Usher and so on - There's a very long list.

Like all things hifi, all components have a signature, flavour or characteristic and that's what I'm hoping will be expressed here because that can be very useful when deciding the upgrade or route you may want to take.
    For example, Spendors are renowned for being non fatiguing (some say polite), detailed and wonderful in the mids, as well as fairly neutral sounding, all of which are very important factors for me. Some find them a bit too polite.

Others like a more lively, dynamic and exciting sound. I've no idea which speakers are renowned for that flavour so i'm hoping here is where we'll find out the 'general characteristic' behind some brands or particular speakers.

There's a lot to express regards speakers, imaging, soundstage, neutrality, openness, dynamics, realism, texture / timbre, holographic, mids, high and low frequency extension - Yep bring it on !!!

Just realised that not all these speakers fall into 'Past Masters' Do you prefer your thread to cover only past speakers or speakers in the wider context ? If the latter let us know and maybe the thread could be moved. Your thread, Your shout - I know which I'd prefer

danilo Guest

Interesting topic. Daunting task to record or even evaluate more than few dozen makers.
    Speaker 'makers' have come and Gone .... in their Thousands over the years.
    Astoundingly to me, there still seems to be new ones sprouting (and fading) monthly.

I'm Grant.

After chopping and changing trying to find something that suited my needs, I decided to go along the fullrange path I have not been disappointed. They are not perfect but good ones are simple and as close as I need. I now only have 1 set of non full range ones, and its likely to stay that way.(bar test speakers)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    After chopping and changing trying to find something that suited my needs, I decided to go along the fullrange path I have not been disappointed. They are not perfect but good ones are simple and as close as I need. I now only have 1 set of non full range ones, and its likely to stay that way.(bar test speakers)
    What does full range mean Grant, sorry if I'm being thick but what are they and what do you get with them in terms of characteristic over other speakers ?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Interesting topic. Daunting task to record or even evaluate more than few dozen makers.
    Speaker 'makers' have come and Gone .... in their Thousands over the years.
    Astoundingly to me, there still seems to be new ones sprouting (and fading) monthly.
    Yeah Danilo, It could be daunting but people expressing their experience of a speaker or particular brands and that general dna like I mentioned about the Spendors is what I think would be great to hear and very edifying in a general sense of course. It's more about members expressing their experience, how the'd describe 'that particular speakers sound' rather than a thread trying to cover every speaker known to man

I mean I can express that I find my Mission 752 Freedoms to be very well balanced, organic / natural sounding, great imaging, detailed and excel in the mids and vocals, tight punchy bass rather than weighty, low and extended bass - (which is to be expected from a 6.5 inch mid/bass driver) and non fatiguing too. In my opinion a genuine audio bargain on the used market. They respond to every upgrade and sound better and better - I'm a big big fan hence would keep them if I ever 'upgrade' just in case

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    What does full range mean Grant, sorry if I'm being thick but what are they and what do you get with them in terms of characteristic over other speakers ?
    1 speaker does all frequencies without any electronics in the way. Good ones are very good. not everyones cup of tea I realise but I love them. I have made 4 sets now, and all are good uns, with a nice relaxing yet expressive mid range. All mine are designed to work as Reflex speakers.
    My latest double cone ones are just posted in my gallery page
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Grant has cornered the market in vintage Telefunkens.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Grant has cornered the market in vintage Telefunkens.
    always looking for more
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast