+ Reply to Thread
Page 546 of 2931 FirstFirst ... 4644649653654454554654754855659664610461546 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,460 of 29304

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm sorted.

I'm John.

Hergest Ridge.....Mike Oldfield.....Virgin Records.....UK first pressing Benelux sleeve.
    This is close to a first pressing and as such contains the original mix of Hergest ridge which is significantly different to the later issues. Mike remixed the album for the “Boxed” release and as such abandoned the original mix until it’s recent reissue in his Mercury reissues. Mike was never really comfortable with Hergest Ridge at times he has said that he was uncomfortable with it and “bored” during it’s recording. It was the follow up to the highly successful “Tubular Bells” which was always going to be a difficult act to follow.

Hergest Ridge is the name of a beautiful place just on the Welsh border and it was the place Mike withdrew to when he tried to escape the publicity and notoriety of his early success. It is a wild desolate place which has great natural beauty which is captured in this record.
    The original mix has a rawer quality about it than the remix(es), which somehow reflects more the feel of the landscape of Hergest Ridge. In addition there are instruments and sections that are more prominent in this mix and this is lost in the remixes.

Sadly, Hergest Ridge was produced in 1974 and to get a good clean copy is a difficult. This was the height of the oil crisis and as such many of the pressings are on poor recycled vinyl. The copy I have although cleaned well and in good shape visibly is still quite noisy. However, an early 1974 copy is well worth seeking out so that you can enjoy the beauty and rawness of the original mix.

It is easy to see that CD benefited Hergest Ridge....it is an album which sadly was a classical based piece of music which had been subject to poor quality vinyl which at times is quite intrusive. CD brought silence to it’s background which help to allow access to the more subtle areas of it’s score.
    So , go out and look for an early UK copy of this album (or maybe the original mix on CD ) and sit and enjoy its raw and expressive nature.......enjoy listening also to the remix and indulge in the game of compare the two mixes!

( For the audiophile who wants a special treat..... The Japanese release uses the SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) manufacturing process and I believe it contains the original mix too !

I'm Mika.

Kauan - Sorni Nai

Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm John.

Songwriter.......Justin Hayward........Deram SDL 15.....English Copy

A solo album, from a member of The Moody Blues published 1977. Justin had worked on several projects outside the Moody’s notably with John Lodge. His song writing talents, were producing not only contributions to the Moody Blues themes but also, he had material that he wanted to develop more for himself. The style of the album defiantly reflects the Moody’s sound but he develops themes and idea that reflect his own thinking and personality .Some of these solo works, would not fit on a Moody’s album.
    When I first owned this album, I found it a bit light weight and I didn’t really get into it. However my original copy is long gone but, in the last few days, I have acquired a second copy and began listening to it again and realised that I had misjudged it somewhat .The first thing I noticed, was the commonality between Justin’s sound and writing style to that of Clifford T Ward. In fact, they tackle common themes and go about it in a similar way. There is also a common aspect in the sounds of their voices. Further both artists have the ability to observe situations and report on them in song. Of course there are differences Justin appears to compose musically in a different way to Clifford who always favours piano based composition with his own self taught chord structures and with a view to orchestration.
    So what is in the package “Songwriter”? Ten tracks (on the vinyl version) exploring themes from being a “Song writer” to Nostradamus. Most are vocals with Justin’s vocal being foremost and his guitar work too. It’s soft rock and easy on the ear. It takes a few plays before the music and lyrics come into focus but, when they do it is good listen and one that you would enjoy over again.
    The pressing I have is a good clean and largely silent one, reflecting Decca’s high standards at the time.

I'm Grant.

Amazon music
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Nathaniel Ratcliff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

The Style Council
    The Ultimate Collection
    CD

Putting the Sony SA S1's through their paces on the La Scala system

Where to put it all......
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm sorted.

Quid for a double lp from charity shop & was still in shrink wrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Mika.

Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Mika.

Great album..

+ Reply to Thread