+ Reply to Thread
Page 174 of 2931 FirstFirst ... 741241641721731741751761842242746741174 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 29304

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Andr'e.

Yeh & this type of craps makes people seldom post. However i do still have prog LP's but i find they are so dull & lifeless compare to the recordings from this type of music i can no longer play prog LP's

I'm Steven.

Default Wonder if this has been done before?

Hi

This is what I am listening to right now: https://soundcloud.com/the-farthingales

It's stuff from my son's band, The Farthingales.

They are a young, unsigned and trying to 'make it big' Indie/Rock band.

From a hifi fan's perspective (you will make your own mind up on the quality of the songs, musicianship, etc.) the Soundcloud recordings are worth listening to because they were recorded 'live' in a studio. There are no overdubs, no fancy production, instruments levels were not reduced, etc, etc. Each song was done in one take with all the musicians playing together. It is not that often that music is recorded this way these days. I was in the unusual position of being able to flit between the studio as the band were playing their songs and the engineer's studio. As a result, I can personally verify that what you hear on Soundcloud is literally what it sounded like with the band in the recording studio. It's as close to the real thing as you can get because the songs are 'production' free. As a result, the sound of the songs is a bit different than you may be used to. The whole process really made me appreciate just how much work is done to many recordings to make them sound far removed from what was actually going on in the studio. Now I am not implying any criticism here and I do not have any views on how a song should be produced. All I am saying is that the 4 songs you hear on Soundcloud via the above link are as they sounded on the day in that studio. I can personally verify that because I kept flitting between the two rooms whilst recording was being done. As a result the rawness of the recording might come as a bit of a shock. The drum cymbals - Zildjan - for instance are pretty prominent. The thing is, that's what happens in reality - cymbals are pretty intense and really grab your attention, especially when my son is pounding them! There is plenty of cymbal fade too.

The whole recording experience was a bit of an eye opener for me. I've got 100's of albums where, for instance, the drummer's cymbals have been pushed right to the back of the mix. It's only my opinion - I don't like that, I want to hear the band as they really sound.

Interestingly the sound file for each song was around 4 GB. For the Soundcloud recording, this was reduced to approximately 40 MB. So, whilst the Soundcloud songs are very realistic in their sound, there is a bit more that could be heard. This is not too much though as much of the original 4 GB file is at frequencies that a human cannot hear. I am going to get the 'full fat' versions of the songs soon and make them in full or part available free of charge to any AoS member who wants a listen.

So, in the meantime, turn the volume up and enjoy a level of recorded realism that is not too easy to come by, especially these days! Hell, you might even like the songs!!

You can also see the lads rehearsing some of their other songs here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0n...3xfvmHi6AHDJYw

Cheers

Steve
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Benchmark LA4 pre-amplifier and AHB2 power amplifier
    Sony CDP-X707ES CD player
    Sony CDP-X505ES CD player
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Sony DVP-NS900V used as a transport only
    Technics SLPG-590 CD player used as a transport only
    Marantz CD6000SE CD player used as a transport only
    Revel Performa3 M105 speakers and matching stands
    Massdrop thxaaa 789 headphone amplifier
    Audeze LCD-XC (2021 Revision) Headphones
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    No need to take your bat home just because someone expresses a contrary opinion. This is what tends to happen on a public forum, it comes down to, "yes it is", "no it isn't", it's all just words
    True David; One man's meat is another man's poison. No need to take it to heart Andre.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Deep Purple: BBC Sessions.. 1st play

Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lovely stuff, Steve! Where is that available from?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Off the river Marco, or even cheaper (33%) from other 3rd party sellers.. this is the 2lp/2cd box set...

My Zepp "Grafitti" 3lp set should arrive today annall..
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

Got any links, dude? I’m a clicky-linky and buy sort of guy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

there looks to be a couple of uk sellers amongst the others..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+bbc+box+vinyl

Nice one, mate - I’ll hoover that up later!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

flac file. AN dac. Paul Simon ..Essential.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread