+ Reply to Thread
Page 565 of 2931 FirstFirst ... 6546551555556356456556656757561566510651565 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 29304

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Really, really good album

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Really, really good album
    Now playing II

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Now playing II
    Another great album by a great artist

I'm sorted.

I'm Mike.

Pantha du Prince - Black Noise LP

I'm Robin.

more dust being blown off the vinyl

I'm Robin.

another one re-discovered

I'm Mike.

John Wesley - Disconnect (Spotify)

https://open.spotify.com/album/32Pk7fM2m2geycpUim3o83

I'm John.

UK Issue CBS ......CBS S 69003 1972
    Track Listing.
    Side one
    1. "Mrs. Robinson" (Early fade-out) – 3:51
    2. "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (Live) – 2:25
    3. "The Boxer" – 5:10
    4. "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (Live) – 1:50
    5. "The Sound of Silence" (Acoustic version with electric overdubs) – 3:05
    6. "I Am a Rock" – 2:52
    7. "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (Traditional; arranged by Simon, Art Garfunkel) – 3:09

Side two

8. "Homeward Bound" (Live) – 2:42
    9. "Bridge over Troubled Water" – 4:52
    10. "America" – 3:33
    11. "Kathy's Song" (Live) – 3:23
    12. "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" (Daniel Alomía Robles; English lyrics by Simon, arranged by Jorge Milchberg) – 3:07
    13. "Bookends" – 1:20
    14. "Cecilia" – 2:53

Simon and Garfunkel had been around for many years before becoming famous. They had been together and apart, Tom and Jerry , performers and recording artists. Simon the writer, Garfunkel the interpreter, with a choirboy voice, were recording acoustic folk when a producer sneezed the moment and rather clumsily added an orchestral backing to one of their songs and created a hit which captured the zeitgeist of the feelings of love teenage rebellion, political awakening and poetry which inhabited the mood of the mid 60s. Whilst Dylan wrote about people, their profiles.and characters and human nature on one hand: Simon touched the hippy soul with his poems about what it felt like to be human with deep feelings.

A lonely solo tour of the UK , brushes with the BBC and the folk club world had moulded Simon’s writing to reflect the burgeoning college campus feeling of the intellect music, politics and poetry so loved of the incense fraternity and indeed some even though they were English college students.
    And what of the music? The basis was the harmonies and the acoustic guitar work .....the poems set to music told the stories and painted the picture of life in and out of the shadows in the tenement halls ,......of love,..... loneliness and above all of the human condition.....
    So let’s spin the record drop the arm and listen ....but what should we hear?
    First,see the iconic CBS label the same as many greats simple but, classic but what does that central motif represent?

As track one starts, we focus on Mrs Robinson, from “The Graduate” , a portrait of a board unfulfilled woman of college connections appears and he quest for fulfilment with the you visitor.....Clever hooks and soft guitar work fill in the story with water colour brush strokes.

Emily..... the dream of some you man takes the stage next........A romantic quest for a crinoline goodness who is the object of Simon’s romantic quest

The Boxer..... tells Pauls life story in 3 minutes....watch out for the bass harmonica.
    Feeling Groovy , as sunny street in the US in the time when love and flowers were in fashion and a much covered classic.

The Sound of Silence
    ...”Hello darkness my old friend, I’ve come to talk with you again”......Paul knew loneliness well.....

I Am a Rock.......Poetic lyrics, excellent emotional control.....you can feel his pain as he sits on his “Island that feels no pain “

Scarborough Fair/Canticle
    ...a beautiful interpretation of an old English Folk song which show cases the duo’s harmonies........and as we go on the chilling reality draws us back into reality as the news cast plays in the background and captures the grim reality of the US in the time period.

Homeward Bound
    A railway station in Widness ( some say Doncaster both are equally bleek!) in the UK ........ it’s raining , the wind blows your are huddled in your over coat, with your guitar, you have toured to little reception and you just want to go home.......

A Bridge Over Troubled Water
    ......I think Johnny Cash puts this over so well in his American recordings but, here is the original!

America.... a full novel in a three minute for summing up youth and its expectations .........note the clever use story telly implied from appearances.....”She said the man in the gabardine coat was....”
    Kathy mentioned the song before rejoices in her own song. Simon’s first wife and partner she is so often the inspiration for his work and the companion of many of his early experience.

El Condor Pasa, shows the direction Paul Simon would take in the 70s ..his venture into world music is well documented and the albums stand as classics...this Spanish /Latin American track shows another side of the dual branching into pipes and south American rhythms

Bookends
    is pointer for the album of the same name which explores people personalities and Simon’s feel for drama but.....this brief song captures old ages and has been used often in movies to capture the feeling of what it is to be old.

Cecelia ...one of Paul’s old flames or a reflection on modern love ..I’ll leave you to listen and find out.
    So, where next after this......on to the song “The Only Living Boy In New York”( LP A Bridge Over Troubled Water )...behind the breathtaking beauty of the harmonies in this song lies the disintegration .....Tom (Art) goes off to make movies and Paul is left to sort out a solo career ......

”So Long Frank Lloyd Wright"
    tells us a bit more ( Art did study to become an architect!)........
    Spin it, enjoy it and add a posting to tell us what you think .........its a classic , a mile stone marking the time and the history that took place when it came out.......

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread