+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Nanny State tries to increase its grip

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    in a reasonably well ventilated location for a short period of time there would be no appreciable effect. Certainly it would be a lot less harmful than standing next to a busy road for an hour or two.
    Come on, like for like please! You may be correct in your assertion, but mixing time scales weakens your argument.
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

True -but my point is what if you live or work next to a busy road and have the windows open all day? Many people do. Perhaps a ban on using diesel engines on built up areas is required?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True -but my point is what if you live or work next to a busy road and have the windows open all day? Many people do. Perhaps a ban on using diesel engines on built up areas is required?
    Of course the government encouraged everyone to go diesel, and now want to penalise them! I have one of each, but the people carrier, which seats 8, is the diesel. So I can take the whole family into town in that, rather than needing 2 petrol vehicles. So which is the worse option?
    ABD.

I'm Grant.

Rats exposed to fumes from fuel became more likely to scratch and fight each other, scientists found.
    They were also more likely to display signs of anxiety while the chemicals caused damage to their brain cells, a team from Cairo University have discovered.
    The researchers warn that fumes which humans are exposed to on a daily basis could be affecting their mental as well as their physical health.
    Amal Kinawy, who led the study, said: "Heightened aggression may be yet another risk for the human population chronically exposed to urban air polluted by automobile smoke.
    “Millions of people every day are exposed to gasoline fumes while refuelling their cars.”
    Related Articles
    Gene 'causes blood pressure levels to rocket in stressful situations' 24 Nov 2009
    Regular exercise 'can cut chance of developing breast cancer' 01 Oct 2009
    Sleep disorder 'could be accurately diagnosed from sound of sufferers’ snoring' 12 Oct 2009
    The rats were exposed to fumes from either leaded petrol, unleaded petrol or clean air.
    Those which inhaled the chemicals were much more likely to attack each other or take up “belligerent positions” than those which breathed only natural air, the study found.
    The effects were the same whether they took in leaded or unleaded fuel, although those who inhaled the unleaded fuels were slightly more likely to become aggressive.
    An analysis of the animal’s brains showed that the fumes had caused damage to cells.
    The findings were published in the journal BMC Physiology.
    Previous studies have linked toxic traffic fumes to an increased risk of miscarriage, of developing dementia and of suffering from allergies.
    Leaded fuel has been banned in Britain since 2000, because of fears over its effects on health, particularly that of children.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Of course the government encouraged everyone to go diesel, and now want to penalise them! I have one of each, but the people carrier, which seats 8, is the diesel. So I can take the whole family into town in that, rather than needing 2 petrol vehicles. So which is the worse option?
    Both...make 'em walk!

The answer depends entirely on the condition of the engine. Fact is these days that a well maintained diesel in tip top condition, with an effective DPF chucks out very little except under heavy load when the throttle is wide open (unlikely in the event of a casual saunter in a 30mph zone). One look at the exhaust on my D5 shows hardly any staining at all; it looks like parent metal...an indication that very little in the way of particulates are being discharged compared with our other, older car which has a very soorty pipe (yes, it's running properly). A knackered/tired engine will spew out loads more harmful fumes, petrol or diesel.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I see Martin has given up digging a deeper hole.
    Now if we use the medieval practice of logical naming it seems reasonable to change his username from Macca to Macca Digitdeeper
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I see Martin has given up digging a deeper hole.
    Now if we use the medieval practice of logical naming it seems reasonable to change his username from Macca to Macca Digitdeeper
    Hey! Don't make me moderate your ass!

I wasn't digging a hole anyway it was more of a slit trench
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Both...make 'em walk!
    Yeah, right. Try that in Plymouth! I've only ever walked down (and back up) to our village twice; it took several days for my ankles to recover, the hill is that steep! Cyclists get off and walk around here. And my wife walks with a stick, at least we can park for free as she has a disabled badge.
    ABD.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Yeah, right. Try that in Plymouth! I've only ever walked down (and back up) to our village twice; it took several days for my ankles to recover, the hill is that steep! Cyclists get off and walk around here. And my wife walks with a stick, at least we can park for free as she has a disabled badge.
    I used to live in Plymouth. Walked or cycled everywhere when I was there...until some beggar nicked my bike.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    I used to live in Plymouth. Walked or cycled everywhere when I was there...until some beggar nicked my bike.
    I'm at the top of Tamerton Foliot. Only masochists cycle up our hill!
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast