+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Radford Revival activity blog

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Oh no and I had just gotten the thought of owning an STA-25 out of my head...
    These pictures should help

This amp was restored early this year. It came to us in a bit of a state, to say the least....

Not a problem!

The amplifier was stripped down completely, every part cleaned, all the paintwork re-done, all new electrolytics and ALL new wiring.

Sorted

I'm stu.

Beautiful work.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm James.

How do you rate "Jackon" capacitors ? I always shy away from unknown brands for fear of high failure rates... It would be handy to add another name to my trusted list if you've used them without problem.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    How do you rate "Jackon" capacitors ? I always shy away from unknown brands for fear of high failure rates... It would be handy to add another name to my trusted list if you've used them without problem.
    I've used loads without any reported failures. In these applications they are never subject to heavy rectification pulses or high ripple current, they're just adding smoothing to an already pretty smooth CLC supply. There's not a whole lot of choice for axial high voltage capacitors these days, and I've had a good (zero reported failures from amps we've sent out) track record with these so far.

I have been intending to update the STA15/25 board design to use conventional radial types for quite a while now as it brings other benefits - it's just finding the time to essentially re-design the boards from scratch.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    Hi everyone,

I will be using this thread to post about the things we have been working on, such as repairs and amplifier builds, as people may find it interesting. I have a few things lined up to post shortly so watch this space!
    All the very best with this, Will - anything I can do to help, just ask!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    I've used loads without any reported failures. In these applications they are never subject to heavy rectification pulses or high ripple current, they're just adding smoothing to an already pretty smooth CLC supply. There's not a whole lot of choice for axial high voltage capacitors these days, and I've had a good (zero reported failures from amps we've sent out) track record with these so far.

I have been intending to update the STA15/25 board design to use conventional radial types for quite a while now as it brings other benefits - it's just finding the time to essentially re-design the boards from scratch.
    Fair do's, well I shall at least bare them in mind next time I require some axial's

I can sympathise on board design, been playing with Eaglecad myself & its very easy to lose entire days on there just fiddling around with track routing

I'm Jay.

I'm not sure if I should mention that Will undertakes non-Radford projects, but he did a cracking job on a pair of Leak TL12+ amps for me, including some custom ventilated bottom plates. The amps were sympathetically restored to original spec with a few modern non-destructive mods for ergonomics (better binding posts to replace the screws, RCA sockets and a toggle switch for on/off). Top work.

I'm Steve.

At the very first NEBO get together a gentleman whom we have come to know and love strolled through the door and walked slowly amongst the many bit's and pieces that folks had brought along and sat and listened to the many different objects of desire. He then made his way towards me and said to me in his lilting Co Durham accent " scuse me, you Steve? i have a couple of old amps in the car, been in me loft for donkeys years, shall i fetch em in?" All was going well till that point. That is until he brought in his Radford STA25 and a home made pre amp. Connecting them up to pair of Ruark Paladin's with a variety of source components they left everyone aghast. I have to admit, i was smitten.
    WEBSITE.... www.theprogmeister.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym481 View Post
    I'm not sure if I should mention that Will undertakes non-Radford projects, but he did a cracking job on a pair of Leak TL12+ amps for me, including some custom ventilated bottom plates. The amps were sympathetically restored to original spec with a few modern non-destructive mods for ergonomics (better binding posts to replace the screws, RCA sockets and a toggle switch for on/off). Top work.
    Good totally reversible mods are ok in my book

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    At the very first NEBO get together a gentleman whom we have come to know and love strolled through the door and walked slowly amongst the many bit's and pieces that folks had brought along and sat and listened to the many different objects of desire. He then made his way towards me and said to me in his lilting Co Durham accent " scuse me, you Steve? i have a couple of old amps in the car, been in me loft for donkeys years, shall i fetch em in?" All was going well till that point. That is until he brought in his Radford STA25 and a home made pre amp. Connecting them up to pair of Ruark Paladin's with a variety of source components they left everyone aghast. I have to admit, i was smitten.
    Second that. I'm not a valve man by a long stretch but if room and space were no object I'd have that amp for the aural equivalent of that fine bottle of whisky which would only be shared with best friends on special occasions!

Looking forward to hearing it again.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast