+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radford Revival activity blog

I'm Will.

Default Radford Revival activity blog

Hi everyone,

I will be using this thread to post about the things we have been working on, such as repairs and amplifier builds, as people may find it interesting. I have a few things lined up to post shortly so watch this space!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

Yes please

I had an STA25 back in 1977 when it was 'only' eleven or so years old. It needed recapping even then and sadly, nobody wanted to do it! I sold it to a Doctor living in Hungary and went all Naim in 1980 (what was I thinking?).....

I still look fondly on Radfords, as I believe they had some of the best 'audio-quality' output transformers at the time, with beneficial bass performance to go with them.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Will.

Here's a rather nice Radford ZD22 I worked on recently that developed a very low frequency oscillation (around 0.1Hz) due to a leaky electrolytic capacitor.

Here it is after all the electrolytic capacitors were replaced with equivalents

What came out!

I'm Paul.

Great to see you on here Will and I have little doubt that some of the pictures of projects and amps you post will have a large number of people drooling uncontrollably. Wonderful work as always.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Great to see you on here Will and I have little doubt that some of the pictures of projects and amps you post will have a large number of people drooling uncontrollably. Wonderful work as always.
    Thanks Paul, always appreciate the kind comments. Your speakers aren't too shabby either

I'm Andr'e.

O i love the Zero Distortion range. The 'ZD22' is a good pre amp with a good sounding Phono stage. Talking about Radfords i placed a bid on a Radford 'SCA-30' intergrated last month but lost it i was on afternoons & completely forgot about it..

I'm Andr'e.

Will:
    Whose range of Axial Electrolytics are you using if you don't mind me asking?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Will:
    Whose range of Axial Electrolytics are you using if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi Andre,

These were all Vishay / BC components. As far as I'm aware they are the closest things to the Phillips capacitors that were in it. The decision to use them was partly cosmetic as they mostly visually match what was in there but they should be decent anyway. They aren't highly critical as long as they don't leak DC (a lot of them are being used for signal coupling) or drift in value too much over time.

The main reservoir cap was a Panasonic, though higher rated in voltage than strictly necessary so as to come in a 30mm diameter to fit in the capacitor clamp.

Edit:

Actually, thinking back to when I did this (a few months ago now) I recall these particular axial caps were almost / if not the only choice in the values I needed.
    Last edited by Radford Revival; 22-07-2014 at 15:10.

I'm Andr'e.

I thought they were, thats what i used to rebuild the Ferrograph 'F307' as that originally used Philips caps the same..

I'm Neil.

Oh no and I had just gotten the thought of owning an STA-25 out of my head...
    Mana Acoustics Racks >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast